My 96' Z26 *Updated WITH PIX*

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Squeeze

Re: My 96' Z26

Post by Squeeze »

Okay, well I figured it was time for a small update on my z26. First off, I was able to obtain a pressure tester and did a compression test... the results of that test were that cylinder 1 had 120psi, and the other 5 had a reading of 0psi. At that point i was a bit puzzled as to how all 5 had none. I talked to a few mechanics around the area and all of them either suggested a head gasket, cracked head, bent valves, or a timing job. All of those would require more time and more money, and in the end I might end up dumping more money into a motor that isnt worth it... SO... I took to the FB pages and was able to find out that a 03' GM 3100 motor would be compatible and just a matter of "plug in play" in a sense. So I checked out the motor yesterday, starts right up, doesnt appear to have any major leaks, no noises, or knocks, AND the motor only has 88,000miles on it. I only paid $550 for it, which i thought was a good deal for the condition and mileage of the motor, I go to pick it up the 4th, and then all i have to do is save up some more money and have someone help me drop it in. What do you guys think? good buy? Im so ready to be driving this car, most people i talk to about it are like "whats a beretta?" or "those are still around??" lol Oh yeah, any tips or things i should know about as far as motor swapping??

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I'd say slap a 99 chain in it and drive it. That IS half of what it would cost me up here for the samething.

Oh and you could do one more thing:1999 Venture Van 3400 injectors. Your new 3100 has the big port intakes(they are the same as the 3400 and just have "3100" on them).

Oops.....Sea Foam down the booster line after you get it running. LIMG/UIG before that?

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Knowing the 3100, I'd say there would be a good chance of a broken camshaft. I've known of that happening with the original cams.

Cliff Scott
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

So as far as swapping the 03' 3100 into the 96' Z26, anything im gonna run into as far swapping anything from the old motor on this newer model of it? i tried to use the search on here and found a few threads with similar ish topic but they didnt really seem to answer that very clearly

Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Money pit Beretta wrote:I'd say slap a 99 chain in it and drive it. That IS half of what it would cost me up here for the samething.

Oh and you could do one more thing:1999 Venture Van 3400 injectors. Your new 3100 has the big port intakes(they are the same as the 3400 and just have "3100" on them).

Oops.....Sea Foam down the booster line after you get it running. LIMG/UIG before that?
well i did the LIMG/UIG on the original motor with the metal gasket, but the one out of the malibu didnt seem to have any leaks showing on the outside

Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Update guys!

I GOT HER RUNNING AGAIN!!!!

Got the motor from the 03' Malibu swapped in. A few replaced parts, including new fuel pump and she runs smooth! I love it! Already gotten some looks around town, there are hardly any berettas around here, and if you see one usually looks like it shouldn't be on the road lol but yeah I hope to post some pics up soon. I haven't gotten a chance to actually take any good ones but I have some of the swap and like a few cell phone pics of it at work.
Only real plans I have for this are a few appearance mods like the rear window spoiler type of thing lol can't think of the name off the bat and lower it new muffler disable the drl's maybe paint the wheels like a bronze-ish color annd the custom tails I'm working on.

Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Trip on the way to my buds shop to undergo the heart transplant

Old motor out

On the lift

Old Heart vs. New Heart

First Day driving it to work :) ill take more pix once shes detailed and ready haha

Squeeze

Re: My 96' Z26 *Updated WITH PIX*

Post by Squeeze »

Here are the pics of the clear tails im making. Im having to cut each individual piece of red lense, then cut a piece of clear lense in place of the red. I already have three different length amber led horizontal strips for each clear lense. Im attempting an all clear lense look. Top half to look amber and blink like the Euros and bottom clear but light up red. Im a little hung up at the moment on how to cut the bottom red strips because of the curve that wraps around towards the bottom but ill figure it out. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, chime in!

Money pit Beretta

Glad to hear that you got a good engine this time.

keep'em flying!
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Glad to hear that you got a good engine this time.
Thanks, it's doing good so far, I'm liking the fuel efficiency already lol

Money pit Beretta

Boy do I have a ton of envy. Any other plans?

keep'em flying!
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Boy do I have a ton of envy. Any other plans?
My main reason on this purchase(besides berettas being a favorite car of mine) was for commuter/fuel efficiency, so i wont go crazy on it but i do have some plans. So far this is what i have in store for her:
Muffler with an oval tip
Lower
Solar wing(i think thats what they are called)
finish the clear tail lights im making
Paint the polished part of the wheels bronze ish
re clear the spoiler and hood
re paint the outer door pillars
possibly upgrade the cd player one with bluetooth or at least aux cable
Thats pretty much all i can think of at the moment. not too crazy just want a clean 90's era Z26.

I have noticed driving it this week though, that it does have "memory steer" so ill have to figure that out and fix it

Money pit Beretta

Oh, thought there was a bit more than that. I agree that there is no need to go crazy for a DD car.

So you are saying that the car is pulling to one side?

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Lca bushing fatigued or strut mount bearing being stubborn.

_________
-------------
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

1988GTU wrote:Lca bushing fatigued or strut mount bearing being stubborn.
Thanks! I haven't been able to crawl back under the car yet, but that helps narrow things down to check and point me In the right direction. Take it that's common for these cars?