1990 GTZ - "chattering" chain noise, water pump/idler?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
GTU89

Re: 1990 GTZ -

Post by GTU89 »

Figured I'd just put this here instead of the above post. The water pump sprocket looks considerably worn after close inspection. Not to the point of worrying but the teeth are definantly worn down. Could that be any of the noise or no since it mainly slaps on the front and top?

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

GTU89 wrote: maybe but there is a handful of NOS chains on ebay last time I checked. No tensioners I found though.
I have a new never used single row tensioner somewhere. I had the idea of going to a single row until I found all the NOS oem GM stuff to keep it simply dbl row as intended.

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

GTU89 wrote:Figured I'd just put this here instead of the above post. The water pump sprocket looks considerably worn after close inspection. Not to the point of worrying but the teeth are definantly worn down. Could that be any of the noise or no since it mainly slaps on the front and top?
It could contribute to excessive chain tolerances with the potential to mess with timing.

_________
-------------
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Sounds like your chain may be stretched. If it's leaving marks in the housing.

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

So chain. tensioner and waterpump + sprocket (if I can find one with a sprocket. or are the aftermarkets bad too? my gtu's new one went out pretty quickly) and it should be good?

Tensioner looked fine but probably not worth stretching a new chain?

Anyone know the specifics of checking the pitch of the chain to test for stretching?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I've been "told" that chains don't actually stretch... They wear and produce slack from increase tolerances. For me identification that my chain was crap was rather easy... side by side comparison.

I was "told" this chain simply wore out and just appears to be stretched because of the lack of oil grooves in the sprocket to lubricate it. This was my TCE DR timing set... I thought the chain stretched because of how it fit into the sprocket aka improper pitch cut on the sprockets but I'm being told it isn't stretched because of that fit it's just worn because it didn't get any oil. I'm still afraid to use the replacements I received that now have those grooves for oil.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GTU89

Re: 1990 GTZ - "chattering" chain noise, water pump/idler?

Post by GTU89 »

interesting, ill have to compare my stock stuff to the aftermarket stuff and see what (if any) differences there are.

god aftermarket quality seems to be pathetic!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

It IS pathetic.....