transmission

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Ramborogers44

transmission

Post by Ramborogers44 »

ok the 1990 chevy cavalier z24 has a 125c transmission this guy at our racetrack has put a 3100 sfi engine in his car and its pretty much unbeatable and our tech guy cant catch it but my question to ya guys is can i put a 125c in my car its a 1996 chevy beretta with the 4t60-e transmission what all would i have to change

themixer

Re: transmission

Post by themixer »

I would assume the mount, axles and shifter cable

it would probably be preferable to have a parts car available 87-93

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Your tech guy is an idiot!

If he can't tell a 3.1 from a 3100 SFI then he will never know a 3400 from what you have.

Just use your existing UIM.

Problem solved.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
themixer

Post by themixer »

Asylum wrote:Your tech guy is an idiot!

If he can't tell a 3.1 from a 3100 SFI then he will never know a 3400 from what you have.

Just use your existing UIM.

Problem solved.

i don't think that's what he was asking

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Let me see if I have this right. The 125c has a closer ratio than the 4T60e. But if you are running in 3rd gear(1:1 in both) that means nothing. Then there is the weight loss of around 100lbs with the 125c. But if his car is 500lbs under yours in the first place that 100lbs doesn't mean much.

keep'em flying!
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

The Cavy guy is a cheater and the only way to beat a cheater is expose him, or cheat better.

My solution is the answer to the second option, and a lot cheaper.

The trans swap will do almost nothing except confuse the hell out of the ECU and leave it wondering "where the hell did my transmission go?"

You should be able to find a half decent 3400 for about $400 and that would be a lot cheaper.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

Money pit Beretta

LOL if a 3.1 and a 3100 are the same then you should be able to use the big port 3100 intakes. I just don't see how that guy is getting away with an engine swap. If the Cavys ever got a 3100 I could see that, but they never did.

What's next? He gets busted and dumps a boosted Ecotec in? Cobalt only on that. Well, that would get him out of your class. Could be a good thing!

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Ramborogers44 wrote:this guy at our racetrack has put a 3100 sfi engine in his car and its pretty much unbeatable and our tech guy cant catch it
The last part of this needs to be clarified... What can't he catch? A 125c swap in a beretta will not gain you enough to start to win... as others noted there is a much larger weight difference between the two vehicles to start.

Also being in racing I know how rules typically work and why you can just throw a 3400 in with 3100 upper intakes... if this track does any sort of real tech they do a displacement test on the engine at some point.

So in reality we need to know the rules of the track as well as what you are referring to the tech guy not being able to catch... Sorry but just suggesting for him to cheat to beat him kinda grids my gears since I help a racer and putting up with cheaters is just something that no one should have to do, and the classic... two wrongs don't make a right deal ;)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

I was sort of kidding, LOL! Cheaters SUCK!

But if the supposed rules committee can't regulate what people are running, then knock yourself out.

Of course we don't know where this is because "location" is becoming a Witness Protection Plan part of registration/secrecy of late, but it's likely safe to assume this is a middle of nowhere Saturday afternoon run amuck track.

And yes, most tracks would have at least a P&G displacement tube to check engine size.

Hell a 3.1 and a 3100 don't even look the same.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

Money pit Beretta

If you don't have a Z26 then I would replace your bushings. Moog has some FE3 control arm bushings. Then snag Moog body to rear axle(whatever it's called) bushings. Don't forget sway to frame and end link bushings.
The Delco springs my car now has in the rear sure made the back end stiff(GR2 shocks also). As for the front there is too much sway with the Delcos. Not to say that the frame to swaybar bushings have been replaced(or are in good shape). My end links are rubber Moog, they also have some poly ones now.
Last and if you can do it: Weld the sides of the control arms for less flex.
Oops one more: Shim the rear wheel bearings to at least 1.5

Everything I listed can be bought at Rock Auto(some on closeout). If you can't beat him in the straight you can catch up in the turns.

Can you put on some 3400 stock exhaust manifolds?

keep'em flying!
Ramborogers44

Post by Ramborogers44 »

Well guys i run in second gear his car also has a 2800 stall which pulls me off the corner like crazy since i have a stock 1895 stall and yes our tech guy is stupid and by the way i do have a 3400 bottom end in my car that guy has just basically took out a 3.1 140 hp motor and swapped in a lg8 180 hp motor so if u and not to mention the 125c transmission you maunally shift it from 1 to to 2 my transmission shifts when the computer tells it to shift but to even the playing field this year i will have a cam in my car and thanks guys for the comments

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

So you are basically BOTH cheaters!

I think I can speak for most people here and say "WE NO LONGER CARE ABOUT YOUR ISSUE!!"

(BTW, the 3100 SFI is only 160 HP.)

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

Ramborogers44

Post by Ramborogers44 »

I think i speak for most of us when i say Asylum you didn't have to be an chump, i dont claim to know it all i don't fool around with these cars too much or i wouldn't be asking questions about them but; i have been a ASE certified Master Mechanic for Chevy for 10 years and counting so you can kiss my ass and keep your rude comments to yourself and before i get the well if you are a master mechanic why can't you fix the problem yourself question, the whole time i have worked at the chevy place they have never been a beretta to come in for a repair,(BTW dumb ass the LG8 engine has a 3100 sfi block with 3400 heads buick century 2000-2005 (170-175 hp)not 160

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Cheaters are cheaters, PERIOD!

You rail all over the Cavy guy, then admit you are doing the same damn thing.

Your credentials don't impress me. You are still a cheater.

I suppose it would make you very proud to win at the expense of the rest of the racers that follow the rules.

Having raced for over 40 years at many levels, I never knowingly broke a rule, and still managed to win 1,000's of dollars, four National Championships, 9 Track Championships.

I can't imaging living with myself, and my fellow competitors, most of whom were friends, knowing I was cheating.

YOU ARE A JOKE, and a sad addition to the sport.

What you need to do is clean up your act, then vehemently go after the cheater and don't quit until he is exposed.

Anyone can win by cheating. You have to be GOOD to win within the rules.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

themixer

Post by themixer »