88 TO 96 interior door panels

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
CorvetteBeretta

88 TO 96 interior door panels

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

I got my door panels today (not the best shape but mine are toast) I didn't think to grab the 96 handle assembly. When I got home I looked at mine and the thing that concerns me is the different location of the slide lock mechanism. Should I have grabbed the steel rod or can I ghetto fab mine to work or did I just screw up big time and the 96 panels will not work on an 88. :unknown:

themixer

Re: 88 TO 96 interior door panels

Post by themixer »

you need all the guts too, its a bit of a process to switch them out. surely making some rods will not be too hard

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

did you ever see my parts thread in the for sale section?
I have the 88 door panels and doors, and other interior parts.

Basically everything but a dash and steering column, I have the red steering wheel too, no damage to it. Except its all red, and the seat belts are not on the doors, they are the pillar mount ones. (Its the 87 style before they changed it in 88).

Didn't know if you were interested because they are in really good shape for their age.
The whole set is just sitting in my basement doing nothing, maybe you or someone you know might want it?
I got the auto shifter handle too.

CorvetteBeretta

I want newer interior I just got 96 z26 panels but its so much work to put them in I didn't grab the handle assembly either :x

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

Yah, i was thinking you could not find a descent setof older designed interior parts.

Im not sure, but i think there is more then just the handle assembly that changed.
Maybe you want the whole newer door design swapped?
Newer design window motors and lock solenoids seems like a better idea if you want to go that rout.

CorvetteBeretta

That would be the easiest route except I have body kit panels molded to my doors..
Does anybody know if I need more than the handle assembly?

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I am thinking you might need the handle/lock interior parts and the metal rods that slide all the way back to the other parts like the latch and lock.
The newer lock solenoid matches the newer linkage/rods or whatever you call them.
I dont know what exactly changed on the window motor, i never had those out.
The only issue i have with it is its all metal rivits that holds everything together in there. And i wish it was nuts and bolts.

But the latch and lock should be the same. I had those apart before and they looked the same to me.
If i was you i would take everything, if possible the whole door. This way you know you have everything you need.

Oh, the newer lock solenoids have a different electrical plug.
I hope this helps. In my opinion them rivits will be the hard part if you dont have a dremel or something similar.

CorvetteBeretta

The drill works just fine my friend.. I drilled out the rivets for the mounting bracket for the new door with ease. My only issue is the car is now gone to the giant scrap yard in the sky.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

When i tried drilling those things they just spun with the drill. lol

CorvetteBeretta

I drilled until they spun then just tilted the drill a little (left and right) until it stopped.. Worked perfect also I just called the guy he still has the car he might hold it for me another week but I just found another parts car. Its a 95 base looks pretty mint but pics can be deceiving.