question about flowmaster and glasspacks

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

Post by Guest »

i was just thinking, and this is my own opinion so no one take offence, why do people put Flowmasters or glasspacks on beretta's? i live in a town ruled by trucks, whose owners swear by Flowmaster. one can easily detect the rumble of Flowmaster and it sounds really good on trucks. now, i dont know if they make different mufflers for cars, but personally i dont want my car to sound like a truck. give me your input please!

zach82

Post by zach82 »

I'm not big into the Flowmaster tone myself, I like sharp crack on my exhaust.

I went with a catless straight pipe setup because it's extremely free flowing and loud as h#ll. ÂÂÂ And back home there's about an equal mix of extremely loud cars and trucks. ÂÂÂ Most of the cars are louder than the trucks actually, straight pipes are becoming a favorite around there.  Myself, and some of my friends have vehicles that will wake people up at night.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net
MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

well what i would recommend is something with some balls, like a Dynomax, my Dynomax Super Turbo sounds like a stock 2" with a 2" rust hole in it,(slightly quieter though).  It's a low rumble, but it won't wake anyone up.  Glasspacks are like amplifying the sound if it were without muffler.  I have heard flowmasters on Rustangs though, they are toooooo loud.

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
zach82

Post by zach82 »

You want to hear a loud 'Stang... my friend has an 89 5.0 that's been modified (heads, pistons, FI system).  It has headers back into 2.25 inch straight pipes... that is one loud car.  He used to have Flowmasters on it, but he took them off and sold them.

Post by Guest »

It all really depends on what type of Flowmaster you are talking about. The 40 series are most likely what you are hearing, because those are loud. I am currently running a 50 series Flowmaster, and it has a nice quiet rumble at idle and with normal driving, but once you get on it, it sounds very good. As far as being loud enough to wake people... why? That is just stupid. Yeah, I want to drive around and have people target me as being the loud and annoying car. Why not just put a fartcan on and sound like a crotch rocket...

zach82

Post by zach82 »

As a matter of a fact I have a gutted muffler on my bike too... and most of my friends with bikes have Supertrapps with all the discs out ÂÂÂ

I really like the setup on my Bronco too... true dual 2.25s with a the "shorty" 18X6 glasspacks, side outlet. It's wicked sounding when it idles because of the large cam... I've also retarded the timing a little to make it easier to start.

Why wake people up?  Just for the sake of doing it...  about half of the vehicles around home are capable of doing it... it's just all in how you use the gas.  Going by someone's house late at night that you don't like... lay into it a little

In reply to the fart can... straight pipes have good rumble at low rpm and a lot of crack at the higher ranges... a nice combo.  Kind of like a turbo at the low end and a glasspack on the higher end.

It's all a matter of preference... I happen to like loud exhausts, a lot.  A guy down the road from me has a 69 Cuda (383) with headers into 2 inch straights... one of the best setups I've ever heard in my life.

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

well personally i dont have a thing against people putting GP's on beretta's, or any car for that matter so long as that isnt the only thing you do your car...and so long as you dont do it just for sound.....i mean hell im runnin a fat GP now(dynomax bullet)....but i got it to compliment my 2.5" pipes and all....i mean plus if you are actaully going to see the diff....i mean i know people who do up their cars performance wise, and drive like an old lady, and dont even go to the drag strip....yeah its nice to do, but if you dont see the gains, why do it.......

my retta right now, has literally been mistaken for a small block chevy....i was inside a gas station and left it runnin outside while i ran in for coffee, and the kid at the counter went out side, and came back in and asked if that was my beretta out there, and i was like yeah, and he complimented me how good it sounds, "like a small block".....so it felt good....i mean yeah its loud, but ill tell ya the gains i see on the highway, i just hope i see on the track...

Quote It's all a matter of preference... I happen to like loud exhausts, a lot.

i get the goosebumps just hearin my exhaust rumble when im in the house  

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
zach82

Post by zach82 »

I got .1 in the 1/4th going from stock to a catless straight pipe setup.  You won't see a huge gain.

Post by Guest »

well i have always been a fan of the import scene(not the cheesy riced out civics that you see everywhere ) an i personally like the low deep tone of a good import exaust. i really hate the ones that sound like pissed-off weedeaters. i would like to find a nice universal exaust that didnt have the 5 1/4in. coffee can tip on it, but still gave me the low deep tone.

zach82

Post by zach82 »

I have never heard a deep import... ever.  All the ones I've ever heard have sounded like someone letting a squishy fart, and I've seen a lot of imports at the track.  Even the fast ones sound farty.

industrialstrength

Post by industrialstrength »

My friend's Prelude sounds like a deep growl from the depths of hell! And it's LOUD! It's modded enough to beat stock 5.0 rustangs.

91 GTZ Q4

Post by Guest »

GT89GT: check out DTM mufflers. I'm pretty sure it was a DTM muffler I saw on a prelude. It had the square upturned dual tips on the muffler. Like built in. And it sounded good. Really deep and no annoying weedeater sound. Unless the guy put in a 6 or something, it was the best sounding exhuast I have heard on a 4 banger. It was really amazing the sound, I couldn't belive it was a honda.

Post by Guest »

DTM is a good company. Flowtec also makes some really good universal mufflers. my buddy put one on his ranger, and it sounds more pissed off than any other import i have ever heard.

Post by Guest »

I had that DTM but after two years I got tired of it and switched to that ricey muffler with a 5 inch tip.  It's the same as the DTM but with deeper tone (more bass) that is really noticeable.

Post by Guest »

My friend Shaun has a RActive universal on his Tiburon & it sounds like a deep import...almost like a Ferrari or BMW type sound.  I wuz wondering if flowmasters r only for dual exhaust or do they make them for single?