Camaro paint job...after almost 10 years

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
Asylum

Re: Camaro paint job...after almost 10 years

Post by Asylum »

Going to be wonderful, fast, impressive, and 5000 pounds by the time you get finished welding stuff, LOL!!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Ordered my gauge set from Speedhut. Can't wait for them to come in. And just saw a touch screen offered by Holley. Plug & play with my HP EFI for tuning, datalogging and also monitoring gauges while driving as a permanent part of the dash. Pretty awesome. According to the listed dimensions it would fit perfect too!

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... ts/553-106

Slinging filler too. This part sucks.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
themixer

Post by themixer »

i find sanding bondo relaxing, the more in a rush you are the worse it turns out it seems

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

You work and work to get it perfect,
then a few years later, you see it has shrunken under the paint and looks wavy anyway.
That is what I hate about filler.

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

What is the dark green filler vs the lighter?

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I bought the good stuff so it shouldn't shrink. I hope. I'm using the Evercoat Rage Gold (the light neon green color) as the finishing filler. Lays down pretty smooth & sands easy.

The dark green in the fiberglass-reinforced filler. Waterproof. That's the first coat on anything that has been welded. It's a bitch to sand because it's stronger and harder to spread with the fiberglass strands. It's better for build up too if you have an area that needs 1/8" or so (like maybe where a quarter patch warps a little bit...but luckily it will be hidden by a wheel flare) haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Cleaned/organized the garage and put up painter's plastic. Cleaned the car with waterborne wax & grease remover and laid the epoxy. Went down really nicely but dried with quite a bit of gloss. I actually called the tech line to make sure I did it right because the 2k primer surfacer I've done before dried flat, but I guess epoxy dries shiny if you lay down a good heavy coat. So it's perfect! Shows the body filler right now too, but they said that is normal and will be taken care of with the primer surfacer in the next step. The firewall and underside are getting textured Lizard Skin and Raptor Liner, so that won't show it either.

I also bought some new parts for it, but I'll wait to post that stuff until I get them and can mock em up. Soon I'll be starting to bolt crap together!

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
themixer

Post by themixer »

i like primer

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

I'm not sure why but I'm reminded we had rotisserie chicken this weekend.
Now that is the way to work on a car!!!! Not crawling on your back and working up
all the stuff underneath.
Looking good!

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

I like turtles.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Lizard Skinned it. Both their ceramic insulation outside & viscoelastic sound deadener inside. Had to fix the god damn gun that was out of alignment from the factory, but I got it sorted out. Next comes the U-Pol Raptor bed liner on the firewall and underbody. Then the car is off the rotisserie finally! Also closed up all the holes in the rear seat & package tray with some leftover Second Skin Damplifier before spraying.

Also got some parts in the mail. DIY C5/C6 kit and SPC upper arms from Custom Works, and rotors & calipers from Amazon. Way cheaper than RockAuto. Like $270 instead of $420 for the exact same stuff... The DIY kit comes with the brackets and hubs to convert my stock spindles to the C5/C6 brakes. Just have to hack off the stock caliper mounts and redrill & tap the dust shield bolt holes to mount the bracket. (Similar to the Wilwood kit for Berettas). Rotors are 13.4" and the dual piston calipers are aluminum. They came naked without the "Corvette" on them which is nice, because I had already planned on sanding that off and making them say "Camaro". I took the 4th-gen Camaro logotype and modified it slightly and arched it for the calipers. I think it will look pretty sweet. Some might not even notice the "Camaro" is not stock. The SPC arms have lots of alignment adjustment in them without using shims, which is a nice solution - especially since my G-braces mount to the A-arm studs.

^ Photoshop

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Amazon came through with my control arms... At least 30bux cheaper for the pair vs rockauto.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
weba

Post by weba »

Mmm, I like blue calipers :)

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Lesson of the day. Do not stack textures. Ever.

This Raptor Liner looks really nice, wayyyyy better than the Lizard Skin. But it needs to be applied to a smooth surface, and not on top of the LS texture.

You can see here the texture is tight and looks really nice. This was just epoxy under it.

This is over the Lizard Skin. On the bottom side of the car...who cares. But the smooth firewall looks like garbage. So tomorrow I'm gonna start to sand it smooth and then reapply the Raptor over the smooth surface. I have some LS left over I can apply to the inside of the firewall to make up for what gets sanded off outside.

Here, on the brake/clutch master plate I had sanded the Lizard Skin down some just to keep from building up too much thickness on the mounting faces, but not totally smooth. Even so, you can see quite a difference in the texture.

And I just don't like it. I have too much work in that firewall not to like it...so out comes the sandpaper!

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GTZfan

Post by GTZfan »

Blue calipers, does that mean youre going with the blue paint scheme? :good: :good:

Underfloor looks good, this stuff sure is a great protection. Is that a dent in the pass. side floorpan?

The shaved firewall deserves body color.

1991 GTZ Quad4 black, all original, low miles. Beretta Calendar 2008, 2009, 2015
1992 GTZ Quad4 quaser, completely restored. Beretta Calendar 2011, 2012, 2013 images of the shiny quaser