oil pan

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
scott91gtz

oil pan

Post by scott91gtz »

i managed to crack my oil pan pretty good, on my 91 gtz. i went to see if i could get it welded shut, but every time the guy welded it, a new crack appeared somewhere else.
first of all would any of that metal putty sorta stuff u can get work to seal it up at all? i know the pan is cast aluminium but i dont know much about metals, and what they do when they heat up etc.
i called gm but they wanted about $280 cdn for a new one... i had anticipated about $200  so that was a suprise.
the engine in the car is an 89 quad 4. i know that the pans from about mid 88 - 91 were all the same. im wondering if any other pan would fit. im pretty sure that the pre 88 pans wouldn't work, b/c they have an indented area on the bottom of the pump, and i would run into issues with the sump. the 92 - 94 pans dont have the two bolt holes on the back, for that metal pipe btwn the water pump and the lower rad hose, and it has another hole for a low oil pressure sensor by the drain... although thats fine by me, but would the bolt holes line up at all for the rest?
i appreciate any help you guys give me.
thanks   scott

91 gtz -  quad 4 - 5 speed
89 gt - 3.1 - auto
93 gt - 3.1 - auto
docrodg

oil pan

Post by docrodg »

JB weld would not be a good option, it never is.  Try junkyards for a used pan if you don't want to fork out the bucks for a new one from GM.  Also there are other gm parts dealers with better prices, try them for a new pan.

Aluminum castings are not very weldable and once they begin cracking the metal is showing fatigue typically and the extra heat of a welder only makes it worse, especially since aluminum welding is much hotter than steel.  If you used JB weld it likely will still crack more simply due to the fatigue.

Decipha

oil pan

Post by Decipha »

the j/y is your friend

(4) 90s, 91, 92, 93, 94, and a 95 Supercoupe (x9)
98 Camaro SS 6spd
2000 Lincoln LS 5spd (1 of 2,331)
95 Beretta base

www.efidynotuning.com
speedygtz

oil pan

Post by speedygtz »

(Decipha @ Aug. 30 2006,12:59)Q
U
O
T
Ethe j/y is your friend