cant shift out of 2nd

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by Guest »

Hello i am a new member .. i have just bought as 1988 Beretta off of  one of my best friends ... but i cant shift into 1st 3rd 4th 5th or into revirce ... its like stuck in second gear ... like wen i try to shift into 3rd it wont slide over .. like its stuck in second gear... not even first will work... like i like the car but i dont know what to do in this situation .. please help me ASAP    
all help is appreaciated

1988GTU

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by 1988GTU »

Does the clutch pedal just drop to the floor?
Do you have fluid in the container for the hydraulic system?  
Does it grind when trying to do anything?

What have you done to try and fix it?

_________
-------------

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by Guest »

Q
U
O
T
EDoes the clutch pedal just drop to the floor?
Do you have fluid in the container for the hydraulic system?  
Does it grind when trying to do anything?

What have you done to try and fix it?

noo ... i have to apply  pressure to the cluthc
... ill have to take a look .. but im pretty sure theres fluid in the container for hydraulic system
... nd it kinda grinds but not too much

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by Guest »

i think it may be the clutch ... but im not too sure  

docrodg

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by docrodg »

Sounds like you are saying it won't even shift out of second.  If that is the case it ain't the clutch.  It is either the shift forks are jammed or the shifter mechanism is all beat to hell.  

My bet is the shift forks in the top of the tranny are stuck.  Sometimes a person powershifts and jams the arm to a point where it is stuck and won't go.  Second gear is the most common for this to happen in as they haul off the line and yank like a gorilla on the stick.  Check the clutch out and make sure it is ok, then check out the linkage and shift forks and if the forks are jammed just pull the top off and knock them into place so they move freely.  Really not a hard job when you get into it on these FWD cars.

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by Guest »

but i cant get to were the fork thingys without ripping the rubber where the shifting knob is can i :S .. i was having a hell of a time geting that thing off so i juss gave up .. nd i hope its easy lol as i am only 16 nd i gota drive like a ways out to get to school

docrodg

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by docrodg »

The forks are on the tranny, not under the boot.  This is a FWD car so linkage connects the shift lever to the tranny rather than a direct connection like a RWD.  You need to check them at the tranny.  Try manipulating the shift linkage on top of the tranny next to the engine and see what happens.

capecodberetta

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by capecodberetta »

Could it be the shifting cables?
I had to have mine replaced for a similar problem.
Capecodberetta

cant shift out of 2nd

Post by Guest »

YESS  lol i just poped off where the shifter knob and the boot ... i pulled the cable .. i couldnt tell so i asked the guy who knos a bit about it and he said its broken that i can get a new one for like 10 bucks at a autowrecker so on payday im goin to go pick one up and the minuit i get home with it im goin to fix it up ill let yall kno how it works out for me
thanks for all the help guys
much appreciated  
Jollyrancher