Help do i need to replace the gasket?

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Post by Guest »

I posted this in the general discussion page as well. I hope you can understand my situation.
Alright so i was following the instructions for cleaning the throttle body under the Intakes section of the message board
But it does not say if i need to replace the gasket between the throttle body and the manifold plenum.  Im no engine expert (probably shouldent have even opened up the throttle body at all) but do i need to do this before i put it back together or can i still use the old one
this is for the 3100 engine on a Z26

BTW here are the instructions i was following:
ive already done this twice and it really does help out.
things you will need:
1)1/2 inch socket and ratchet(have an extension handy too)
2)small apex
3)flathead screwdriver
4)octane boost/carb/fuel injector cleaner(gunk recommended)
5)very ligh grain sandpaper or at least a rag
things too do:
1)take the flathead screwdriver and take off the airbox lid and remove the filter
2)loosen the clamp connecting the throttle body to the intake(black rubber hose that goes to the airbox)
3)remove any sensors connected to the throttle body using the apex
4)seperate the throttle body from the manifold plenum using the ratchet and 1/2in socket
5)remove any debrise from the inside of the throttle body by spraying the gunk into it and taking the sandpaper/rag to it
thats it, just make sure you dont get anything into the manifold plenum and wipe out the TB if using sandpaper.
MAKE SURE to replace all sensors especially the one underneath the TB(which must be put on before reinstalling TB)
if you are doing this you might as well put in a cool air intake info is located in this sites custom modification center hope i helped some  

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Get a new gasket.  A leak at the TB isnt a good thing to have.
Its like a $2 part.  Better safe than sorry.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

hey i gave you those directions didnt i?yep.
okay i dont think the TB gasket HAS to be replaced unless your old one is cracked badly, however you should treat your ride right and replace it anyhow, as Chris88CL mentioned its a cheap part.
BTW how did the directions work out for you?

Post by Guest »

2dollars. I coulda swore mine was 10-15 when I replaced the tbody.

Post by Guest »

Ya I replaced it alright but for some reason it is idling at 2000 RPM!!?  I dident disconnect the battery at all.  and while im driving it is actually pushing me. almost like cruse control only it dosent work up hill. Kinda dangerous i think and it is gonna kill my breaks.
When it is in drive or reverse the RPMs go down to about 1000 RPM. but nutral or park they go to 2000. Now when it warms up the rpms go from 2000 to 1700 in park.
Did you guys have this problem. I thought it might just need some time to wear back in but it has been doing it the past 2 days of driving. i gotta get this fixed.
Please help me! ÂÂÂ

3100SFI

Post by 3100SFI »

It may be a possible vacuum leak.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle

Post by Guest »

what could that be caused from.?  from not reinstalling the TB correctly?

3100SFI

Post by 3100SFI »

Could be. It's kinda hard to tell since I'm not there to look at it. Another thing you might want to try is disconnecting the battery for a minute and try doing idle relearn. Another thing you might want to look at is to make sure that the butterfly valve returns to zero percent throttle.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle
MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

My 3.1 is doing the exact same thing, however my TB gasket is half missing.  It idles at 2000 also.  The both of us definatelly need some help quick.  I have a broken gasket and a vacuum line,  which is causing the prob?

Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
3100SFI

Post by 3100SFI »

Quote My 3.1 is doing the exact same thing, however my TB gasket is half missing.  It idles at 2000 also.  The both of us definatelly need some help quick.  I have a broken gasket and a vacuum line,  which is causing the prob?

Both probably.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle

Post by Guest »

If the iac was taken off, and the positioning of it was changed, like the plunger pushed toward the solenoid, it'll idle at 2G. I usually pull the plunger out about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, reinstall it, then let the computer do it's thing when it's ready to.    Try it Big bird, you have nothing to lose at this point.

Post by Guest »

ok your gonna have to help me out. what and where is the iac, Solenoid and plunger and how do i adjust it/them. Like i said i probably shouldent have even touched it. I am really kicking myself in the ### for not taking a few auto classes in highschool. I really want to learn all this so i can know what is going on

MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

Luckily I didn't have to play with any IAC(whatever that is?).  When I wasn't around my dad decided to play with my car again, he replaced the gasket for me and "ghetto-rigged" the vacuums together and now it runs fine, I am going to get the actual connections though sometime.

Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Post by Guest »

You wanna hear something really strange!
Ok so i start the car after work to go home. like it has been doing the past few days it idled at 2000rpm. when i got home i threw it into park and it was normal again. I drove it around all night tonight and it was perfectaly fine. i dont know what happened or what i did (apparently nothing) but it works again

paintgod93

Post by paintgod93 »

The computer probally just had to get used to it.  Don't worry about it, Berettas are moody

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best