Tell me about V6 cam swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
weba

Tell me about V6 cam swap

Post by weba »

I request guidance from OHV guys :)

One lifter on my 3.1 MPFI is failing, so I need to change that

I do have a set of new ones in the Crane cam box I bought almost 10 years ago and never installed, so I might just go ahead and finally throw that in with the new lifters and 'golden rockers' I have.

- I've never changed a camshaft in OHV engine, do I need a special tool or something to get the bearings out&in?

- Break-in tips for 2nd gen engine with non-roller cam?

- Also, what do you recommend purchasing, as for bearings and anything else I should change while at it?

I'm also replacing the injectors and fuel regulator, since I've been suspecting faulty injectors for couple years now.

Asylum

Re: Tell me about V6 cam swap

Post by Asylum »

Unless the engine has a million miles on it and the oil pressure was ZERO, leave the cam and the bearings alone.

You will have to pull the engine to change the cam OR drill a big hole in the inner fender to get the damn thing out.

The cam is as long as the engine, or almost.

You should also replace the timing chain while you are in there.

After that the possibilities are endless. YOU HAVE THE ENGINE OUT!

But WHY?

Put the new lifters and rockers on, change the oil to a high Zinc break in oil such as Lucas or Mobil 1, change it as directed and carry on.

:Yahoo!:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
SuperLbody

Post by SuperLbody »

If the lobes on the original cam look fine, than the bearings should be alright. Be sure to replace the push rods as well if the kit doesn't have them. Other than those items, replace any gaskets while in there and that should be it! Keep us updated, always interested in seeing someone experiment with the old 2.8/3.1 mpfi motors.

weba

Post by weba »

Asylum, because I have the cam and when the time runs out from the body in couple years, It will be wasted purchase if never installed :)

I also have complete 3400 top end swap parts, but I don't think I can manage the effort to do that right now, going on with minimum resources.

Do push rods wear, or what's the reason to replace them?

weba

Post by weba »

This is the camshaft I have

Trying to figure out do I need another set of valve springs, 60degreev6 site list the specs like this:
Valve Spring

Free Length

Pressure

N @ mm

Closed

391 @ 40

Open

867 @30

Installed Height

Valve Spring

Damper

Free Length

Approx # of Coils

SuperLbody

Post by SuperLbody »

They do wear yes but since your replacing the lifters and rockers, you might as well replace the push rods so they can wear together at the same rate.