Maybe fuel pump

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
junior.villa

Maybe fuel pump

Post by junior.villa »

1989 2.8L V6 5speed 83,000miles

As long as my gas tank is more than half way full, I don't have any problems. At a little less than half, whenever I make a left turn and power out of it, the engine cuts out. Like fuel isn't getting to the engine. A couple seconds later, the engine comes back and everything is working as it should.

When gas gets to about a quarter, if I need to go uphill and left I need to go really slow otherwise the same thing happens. Engine cuts out for a few seconds, comes back and everything is fine.

When it's lower than that, I can't park at an incline and I can't park when my car is leaning right side down. If I park like that the car won't start. Sounds like there's no fuel in the tank.
I also can't accelerate too fast or the same thing will happen.

I had the fuel pump replaced already and it's still doing it. I'm wondering if it could be something else.

:good: :unknown: :pardon: :lol:
JuniorThePunk
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Maybe fuel pump

Post by 3X00-Modified »

What tank is on the car? Stock? Aftermarket replacement? and it's possible they did not get the pump in the right position so it's not reaching the bottom of the tank. Fuel pumps typically don't cut out in those conditions when they are going bad, that indicates the pump not being properly submerged in the fuel... A failing pump will cut out anytime they want, mostly due to heat though.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"