1996 Mr.Pink

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Money pit Beretta

Re: 1996 Mr.Pink

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Combo of all three? Yeah those other two should be the major factors. There are or have been a few on here that are running large rotors with no problem. Most are not doing what you do though. You did go back to the N Body, so could the hard stress come from the other rotors and weaken the shaft leading to this shear? Or is the blame just on the poorly made shaft right now?

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I think we are digging a bit deep here... It's quite simple really... The axle that was in my car is a hybridized axle... It has a Bonneville HD inner CV and a Grand Am outer CV and I'm only assuming off of length and spline counts it was a plain ole GM Beretta bar, nothing special since I can't run a big car bar because they were all too wide of a platform. That being said that bar was designed by GM to only hold up to so much power.

My car is putting down at least 320HP to propel it into the 12's at its current 3100lb weight... SO ignoring the brake upgrade, because I highly doubt that had any effect on it, the car is launching off the line with over 300hp and trying to move a 3100lb car.... That axle was just not designed to do that so it started to twist, and over the years got weaker and weaker... and then this year was it's last run. The bar that I took out I'm assuming was a GM bar (I had bought re-man axles back in 09 to put in the car prior to the outer CV and brake swap) and the one I just put in is also a GM bar so I can only assume that this bar will last a little while but not forever so in order to fix this problem for good I'll probably have to go with a custom made HD bar or further and do a fully custom axle on each side and not these OEM hybridized setups.

I'm leaning towards going with just the HD bar but that is looking like around $300 for each side from DSS, and I have not heard back from RCV yet to see if they will make the bar only.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Alpinestar10

Post by Alpinestar10 »

Rcv only made Shawn's bars they just assembled the axles with g6 ends and the measurements his friend James got off the car..

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well right now RCV is failing to pull in my business since they have not responded to my online inquiry yet.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

LOL looking to deep into things is why it's hard for me to get anything done(no really). I agree with everything you said and have more than kept in mind that the shaft is made for stock power and stock everything else. Still that nagging over thought creeps in. The "what if" gets me every single time. Have you turned the rotors? All that energy and a bit of shake......there it is again.

DH should cover it, almost shocking that you didn't go that way in the first place. None of us have a ton of money and if you don't try something you never will know if it works or not. I just hold you to a higher standard(don't take that wrong). Big eyes looking up at a "master" kind of thing.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I would have probably gone DSS in the beginning if I had the time and knew I was going to need axles 4-6 weeks prior to leaving for bfest... unfortunately I just didn't have the time to wait for them to make them once I found out that I needed a custom setup on the passenger side. The rotors have no need to be turned they don't shake when braking... as well as you can see the twist in the bar, its cut and dry it was a power related break nothing else.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Are fiero axles thicker?

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Doubt it... I think the fact that Fiero guys go to dss is a benefit tho because the lengths are similar so it's not re-engineering the wheel.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Wasn't sure if they used aftermarket for fitting in unorthodox combinations or if power output had a play in it.
Look into the 06+ Monte ss 5.3? Those might make it short enough and I'm 99% sure those shafts contain some girth.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

From what I was told by DSS they seem to go with them often, which is why they have a bar on the shelf that is the right length for the drivers side. Not sure on the passenger side tho... Still needs to have my tripod modified to work with the bar though.

Pulled out the passenger axle and saw similar twisting so that probably would have sheared off on Sat. Luckily it is the same length bar as a factory beretta so I had one to swap in... I added some nice witness marks so I can see quickly if it twists.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Ah time, the other thing most of us here don't have enough of. Forgive me, it's just that those shafts are turning some good RPM and under stress, so my mind tends to move away from what is easy to see. Ok done on that, not like it's going to be flying at 10,000ft or something(lol).

Good idea on the marking!

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

3X00-Modified wrote:From what I was told by DSS they seem to go with them often, which is why they have a bar on the shelf that is the right length for the drivers side. Not sure on the passenger side tho... Still needs to have my tripod modified to work with the bar though.
Once you sort out the axle reliability issues, I am leaning towards the turbine shaft is next up for attention.
3X00-Modified wrote:I added some nice witness marks so I can see quickly if it twists.
I do the very same with mine. Just to see at which section goes, "oh snap!" . Serves me a weird kind of "mechanic's entertainment" if anything. lol

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If the turbine shaft becomes an issue then I think it's time for 4t65e and the famous Intense racing turbine shaft... That is if they are still in business.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

you still plan on going...if so i'd be up for meeting up with you guys..allbeit i won't be racing maybe..kinda want to see the outback go down the strip

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'll be there tomorrow for sure, driving the camper up in about 5min.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"