U bolt for frame to swaybar bushing

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Money pit Beretta

Re: U bolt for frame to swaybar bushing

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Ok after everything that was replaced it seems the car still has a popping noise. It happens when going over curbs and when stopping and starting. I've yet to pin it down. Seemed to go away for a time after tightening the rear control arm bolt. Starting to think that the hole was hogged out buy a bad bushing.
Can I pull the rear bolt out with everything hooked up? Do have a spring compressor if that would help. There is no way for me to pull the whole control arm.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Now seems to be the swaybar to frame U-bolt, one side is stripped out. Getting to this and getting it out is going to be a problem. With the what may now be a fact this work must be done as the Z51 bar is a no show. May have to buy a Sawsall and cut open the bushings mount.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Sawsall worked great, one bushing is on. The Energy Suspension bushing bracket had to be cut down(where the bolts go) to fit on the frame. The bolts used were grade 8 1 1/2 with a washer on top and bottom. Still have some popping, but now thinking that it has something to do with the tie bar bushings. Why not? Everything thing else is new. Sunday the other bushing will go on.

Just to double check I could use a photo of where the springs should sit on the strut. That is if anyone has a photo.

Many thanks to the Ridgid impact driver for taking the stripped nut off and for it's help getting strut/shock nuts on(and off) for the Cavy.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

As long as the lower coil end point sits in the groove where it has the catching rise for the coil spring end, that will automatically orientate the top coil in position.

I like the handiness of those portable electronic tools.

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Got some photos of mine and have to post them. The car is in the shop for a window motor and to see if they can find what is popping.
All the poly bushings are on and the car likes them.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Motor is on, they were too busy to check the pop. It is a performance shop that does normal work also. It's nice to be able to roll down the drivers window again.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Drivers side, this is the area the pop is coming from. Does the spring look to be in the right place?

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

It does. Might I suggest replacing the strut mount, retainer, bearing assembly with all NEW non KYB brand parts?

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Thanks 1988GTU. The strut mounts are new and are Moog. It was a very tough fight to get the springs on so I don't remember what else was changed at the time. Man my Crapsman spring compressor works great on Cavy springs, but not on Beretta springs(almost need two sets).
Lets just say I could do two Cavys front and back in the time it took to do the Beretta's fronts. I was beat up for two weeks.

Would a bad trans mount pop? Did hose down the tie rod arm bushings with lube and got rid of the grinding bushing noise. One of the bushings lost a lip so that is one more thing that needs to be replaced.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Ok, it pops when I give it gas off the line, when first putting on the brakes and over harsh bumps. It was really loud when the swaybar to frame bushing was loose. Now that it's been replaced it's just back to normal pop. When jacking up the car for the replacement it popped and seemed to come from the trans area and not the suspension. Odd thing is when someone is turning the wheel(on the ground) the pop can be felt in the tie rod arms and in the springs. Didn't have a chance to get near the trans mount because the wheel was on.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Check into the firewall rack bushings, rack itself, or swaybar endlinks. You have strut mounted links correct? Sorry if i should already know that answer. Memory is getting worse as time goes on. It's selective on its own! lol

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Thanks 1988GTU. The strut mounts are new and are Moog. It was a very tough fight to get the springs on so I don't remember what else was changed at the time. Man my Crapsman spring compressor works great on Cavy springs, but not on Beretta springs(almost need two sets).
Lets just say I could do two Cavys front and back in the time it took to do the Beretta's fronts. I was beat up for two weeks.

Would a bad trans mount pop? Did hose down the tie rod arm bushings with lube and got rid of the grinding bushing noise. One of the bushings lost a lip so that is one more thing that needs to be replaced.
It could. I'd lean towards rack though imho.

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Oh the memory....once great and now not trustworthy. It's a base so the links are on the arms and are poly(done this year).
If you look close the firewall to rack bushing is in the photo, it's a bit on the crusty side. Thinking it is ok, but will check the rack on that side today.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I cant see it. The center bushing is one bushing no one ever replaces.

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Didn't know there was one. The other two are in good shape, used a small pry bar to check them. Freaken hard to get a photo of the tie rod arm bushings. I did try and may post them(they are not good). For sure the lips of the bushings are gone on both sides. Looks like the rods have a lot of play, but just yanking on them did nothing. Not to say under full pressure that they don't move. Think I'd better just order those bushings anyway.

keep'em flying!