Cleaning a 3.1L V6 engine, what should I do?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Dwnld

Cleaning a 3.1L V6 engine, what should I do?

Post by Dwnld »

So I've been thinking this for a while now. Main reason would be the oil leak on somewhere the engine which seems to be worse than a year ago. Now I've noticed that there is rare RPM drop when accelerating. This happened a few months ago for several times when cold starting but it still kinda haunts me for not knowing the reason.

Basically I'm going to clean up all the oil stains I can see from above and from below of the car for obvious reasons (trying to locate the oil leak). But, should I clean up some other places and/or parts too just for some extra lifetime/performance?

Some pics below of the engine area just so you know what engine it is if there are multiple versions of 3.1L V6.
31v6 (4).JPG
31v6 (3).JPG
31v6 (2).JPG
31v6 (1).JPG

1988GTU

Re: Cleaning a 3.1L V6 engine, what should I do?

Post by 1988GTU »

Buy the plenum with tb gasket kit, rocker cover gasket kit, and vacuum soft and hard lines throughout. Remove plenum and rocker covers to soak in a tub of solvent 2+ days. Rinse clean and air blow dry them.
If you are looking to attack the blocks external grime, do so cautiously with parts not taken off. Engine foaming degreaser might be safest.
Plug all holes, cap all sensors and connectors! Cover the alternator and remove the battery a long with intake box/filter.

_________
-------------