Timing controllers without the price of "Stand Alone?"

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Omega47

Timing controllers without the price of "Stand Alone?"

Post by Omega47 »

Need a way to pull timing from the 3.1. Doing all my research and planning before hand as I usually do and forget these are DIS until I worked on it. Any methods or products to simply pull a few degrees without having to go MS or MSD stand alones? Have not found anything just yet specifically for GM DIS. Had the theory to leave the IAT easily detachable from the new intake and just make a bracket for it near the intake manifold or head to have it pull its own timing from the heat. OR I simply have WOT Tech pull a few degrees from the map when I get the chip and just deal with it as NA performance does not interest me? Ideas? :crazy:

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Timing controllers without the price of "Stand Alone?"

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Unfortunately the only way other than standalone is to buy tuning equipment for you make and model and modify the original chip. Moates.net has the best hardware choices out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Omega47

Post by Omega47 »

3X00-Modified wrote:Unfortunately the only way other than standalone is to buy tuning equipment for you make and model and modify the original chip. Moates.net has the best hardware choices out there.

I figured, I plan on ordering the burner soon. Just weighing options. I have a bit of experience with the software just can't remember if it was strictly timing tables or had an option to pull or advance a base timing value. Thanks for the reply.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It's pretty wide open... You can make the timing table be whatever you want, it's not just a reduced or addition to the base. In all honesty except for specific add on item controls the base ecu software is very capable and I would only see the benefits of stand alone if you had a very custom or heavy forced induction setup.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Omega47

Post by Omega47 »

3X00-Modified wrote:It's pretty wide open... You can make the timing table be whatever you want, it's not just a reduced or addition to the base. In all honesty except for specific add on item controls the base ecu software is very capable and I would only see the benefits of stand alone if you had a very custom or heavy forced induction setup.

I will look more in to it. Since I have you here, any adjustable FPRs for these? I researched a bit and found Advanced Auto at one time sold something that may have worked but the page is gone and I can not see anything that may work out of the box at least cheaper than $200 (Holley, Aeromotive,etc). Ideas? Also looking in to a fuel pressure gauge to attach to the fuel rail but need an adapter for the test valve. This has to have been done before, searching my ass off online is yielding small results.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Modifying the stock fpr is the cheapest option that wouldn't cause a frankenstein fuel system.

Cleanly cut the top steel hat followed up with a fine cleaning of any contaminants. Put in place a fuel safe spacer to act as your adjustable fuel pressure plunger. Create new hat for fpr. Carefully weld in place the new steel hat with accommodating adjustment set screw.

_________
-------------
Omega47

Post by Omega47 »

1988GTU wrote:Modifying the stock fpr is the cheapest option that wouldn't cause a frankenstein fuel system.

Cleanly cut the top steel hat followed up with a fine cleaning of any contaminants. Put in place a fuel safe spacer to act as your adjustable fuel pressure plunger. Create new hat for fpr. Carefully weld in place the new steel hat with accommodating adjustment set screw.
Any thoughts on this?
http://www.tcemotorsports.com/shop/gm-p ... ble-detail

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

which 3.1 do you have?

_________
-------------
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sounds like you plan on boost? The timing table on these cars rpm vs map, so you can dial in whatever you need. Assuming your car is a 7730 ecm you can convert to the code $59 mask. It's an open source project similar to mega squirt, but you can keep all the stock hardware.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Omega47

Post by Omega47 »

1988GTU wrote:which 3.1 do you have?
'92 Beretta
woody90gtz wrote:Sounds like you plan on boost? The timing table on these cars rpm vs map, so you can dial in whatever you need. Assuming your car is a 7730 ecm you can convert to the code $59 mask. It's an open source project similar to mega squirt, but you can keep all the stock hardware.
The plan eventually is Nitrous =@ . Turbo's make more power overall sure but they really never have interested me even having owned a couple. I was asking about the timing as I need to pull a minimum of 2 degrees per 50 shot. Was just looking through options. As for the FPR I need to also dial in fuel pressure to accurately jet the "fogger." This would be my 4th kit and my slowest car ever owned, Lol. =@

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Ok. Nitrous is easier. Just take the timing out on power enrichment mode then, which is triggered at WOT or close to it.

For the fogger, couldn't you tee off the supply line and dead head another line at the psi you need? How much pressure does the fogger require? Carb plates are usually like 5psi

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

No need to change the mask on the ecm or anything. You could even keep one chip with an na tune and a second with the timing pulled to swap in when you open the bottle.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Omega47

Post by Omega47 »

woody90gtz wrote:Ok. Nitrous is easier. Just take the timing out on power enrichment mode then, which is triggered at WOT or close to it.

For the fogger, couldn't you tee off the supply line and dead head another line at the psi you need? How much pressure does the fogger require? Carb plates are usually like 5psi
Psi I will decide on later, would much rather tap in to that schrader valve on the end of the fuel fail for a gauge and feed line. Any adapters you know of?

Omega47

Post by Omega47 »

My old Cobra I tapped the valve and would like to do the same with the Beretta.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Remove schrader, its a 4an fitting IIRC... That's where I've been tapped from for a long time.

I have a T fitting on this photo because I also was going to run my fuel pressure gauge off it eventually.

The direct port system will require more fuel so I will probably have to think something else up for when that is implemented... quite possibly a completely separate fuel line and pump to supply it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"