ac compressor

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
kmkk1010

ac compressor

Post by kmkk1010 »

Hi. I never saw the old compressor (car came with bypass pulley).

Just got a new Delphi ac compressor from Autozone model #cs0052.

The instructions say this model comp. Is appropriate for " switch" or "

no switch" applications, but with not having the old compressor to

see what may have been attached to it, I do not know if the new one

requires the high-pressure cut out switch for my make and model

car. If my car required it, wouldn' t it be included with the new comp?

Please let me know if I need to install this switch (and anything else)

onto the comp. Any other tips or instructions you could provide would be greatly appreciated .thank you. my Beretta is 1995 V6 3.1 base model. AutoZone said that it most likely does need one but they did not sound confident at all so I thought I would get a second opinion

regarding installation would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Money pit Beretta

Re: ac compressor

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The switch should be on the high pressure line, just to the left side of the high pressure valve. If the line is still there then the switch will be too. Oh by the way that is the one that can be seen from the top and the valve has a red cap. That is where you hook up a line to the high pressure side of a gauge if needed. To recharge or pressure (and vacuum) check the system you have to go under the car and find the blue cap. Leave the red one alone at this time.

keep'em flying!
kmkk1010

Post by kmkk1010 »

Thank you Money pit Beretta. So there is nothing that needs to be added (except proper oil) or attached to the new comp. and it can be installed as ordered right out of the box? Is the switch you refer to the "high pressure cutout" switch and is that the one I see attached to the top line going into the condenser? Thanks for your help..

kmkk1010

Post by kmkk1010 »

sorry I don't mean to obsess about the compressor but I just want to make sure that once it goes on, I do not have to take it off again. AutoZone told me very hesitantly that I need the part in the link below. now is this just a replacement part for something that is already mounted inside of my compressor or is this something that needs to go on before I install the compressor? Thanks

http://m.autozone.com/cooling-heating-a ... ?location=

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Really you need to do a system flush because it has been open for so long. Any O-ring you see should be replaced. Also keep in mind that R134a is the common now and your system may need to be converted.

keep'em flying!
kmkk1010

Post by kmkk1010 »

my system is R134a. I have already flushed the system and currently have it plugged to keep out any additional moisture. I have a new compressor and new dryer waiting to be installed. AutoZone says that I need the part that I put in the link in my previous post. is anyone familiar with that part and where it goes? it is listed as a part that goes with the car, but it may just be a replacement for something I already have.. I would like to know for sure before I put anything on the car... thanks for any help...

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Here is my two cents. I have a 96 so your 95 may be different. Maybe somebody with a 95 can clarify.
On the old compressor I took off my 96, there are the ports for the refrigerant manifold and what I believe is a pressure relief valve.
There is no place to install that plug switch. I don't think you need that. On my system, I have a high pressure switch
on the high pressure side. This is the smaller line, behind the radiator near the top of the radiator. The wire has a connector
on it with 3 pins. If you have one of these, I don't think you need any other high pressure cut out switch.
If you have more ports than what I described and they are open, then you need that switch to at least plug the hole.
I think on my 94 Lumina van, I had to transfer that type of switch from the old compressor to the new one. But that was
years ago so my memory may not be clear. Two things I ran onto on my 94 was the first compressor they sent was not correct.
I forget why. The second one had different level of surfaces on the high and low side ports. My high/low manifold surfaces
where the same but not so with the compressor. I was able to compensate by using two sealing washers.
You haven't mentioned evacuating the system. You are aware you will have to pull a vacuum on the system and hold it
for about a half hour to get any moisture out? And you will have to add oil to the system as well?

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Here is a picture of my old 96 compressor on the left and my old 94 on the right which has the two extra plugged ports for a switch.
I hope this helps.
HPIM1249.JPG

kmkk1010

Post by kmkk1010 »

Thanks ifixalot for the great pics! You are a credit to the site. My new compressor has one plugged port for a switch. The instructions say" This compressor may be a standardized assembly applicable for service replacement of "no switch" or "switch type" compressors and may contain a plug in the switch cavity." So I guess this comp. was made to accommodate many different switch configurations on many different cars. So for my configuration, as it must be quite similar to your '96, the plugged port will likely be untouched and unused. I see the high pressure switch on the upper condenser line like you described and I suppose the low pressure cut out switch is on the low-side line somewhere, right? Yes , system was evacuated and flushed and I was holding out installing the new compressor and new drier until I got some clarification on the switch. The new comp. came shipped with oil. Do I assume they put in the correct amount or should I dump and measure? Also, what did you have to remove (if anything) to install the new compressor? I will probably do it this weekend..Happy 4th of July!! Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for all of your assistance and patience! Nice to know there are people out there willing to help.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

My service manual says it's the one switch and goes to the ECM to limit high and low.
I don't remember my compressor saying it comes with oil. I think mine only came oiled for assembly etc. My understanding is oil will settle in various parts of the system. If you've flushed the system, it has no oil. The oil in the compressor would not be enough. You need to find how much oil is in the compressor. Then you need to find the oil that is supposed to be in the system and subtract the amount in the compressor and add the difference. My service manual says 9 oz capacity for the system. Service manual says drain the compressor out both the low and high side ports and see how much comes out. For replacing compressor only, if less than an once comes out add two ounces. If more than an once comes out, add the equivalent of what came out. My thinking is you are going to have to add at least 7 ounces of pag oil to whatever is in the compressor. If nothing come out of the compressor, add 9 ounces to the system.
I don't remember exactly how much I added for both my compressor swaps but I followed this procedure. When I replaced the condenser I added
one can of r134 with oil. I think it had 2 ounces of oil in it. I figured at least 2 ounces each for the compressor, condenser, accumulator/dryer and 2 for the evaporator. I think a little more or less won't hurt, but way off will result in the compressor seizing.
I don't remember exactly how you add the oil from a non pressurized container. I know I did it once, I think I found a way to pour it
into one of the lines. But that was on my 93 mini van.
Maybe you can find a general AC forum for more advice.
Remember Oil charge has to be put in with the can up side down to allow the oil to flow into the system.

kmkk1010

Post by kmkk1010 »

Ok, thanks for the great info and advice. Right, because the system has been flushed I must assume that the system is completely dry of oil, so I will make sure I add the nine ounces total required to all the respective components. the system calls for PAG oil 150 so I will drain what is in the new compressor and add my own pag 150 to ensure uniform oil type and viscosity throughout. I'm guessing the compressor can only be installed from the bottom. when I start to recharge the system the compressor clutch should engage once it receives a minimum amount of pressure right? Thanks again...and again.. PS I will certainly be vacuuming before I recharge.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Empty as much as you can of oil. Then pour in (just under/less a fraction amount) what the service manual states for the amount of polyalkylene glycol [PAG] oil [which should be 9.0 oz of PAG 150] to put back in. Basically, 8.6 oz since you're likely to have some residual oil trapped in the system.

Do not use PAO (Polyalphaolefin), POE (polyol ester), Mineral, or 1234yf oil in place for replacement. Damage to equipment can and will occur.

_________
-------------
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Yes the compressor should kick in when the pressure rises. What I have done is to put lower half of the Freon can in a bucket of hot water which heats the Freon to vaporize it and helps it get into the system quicker. Without the hot water bath, as the Freon leaves the can, it cools so the pressure in the can drops and the can gets cold.

kmkk1010

Post by kmkk1010 »

Thanks ifixalot and 1988GTU. I will post back after I get everything on.. or sooner if I have any other issues.. thank you..