obd 2 tuning devices

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
1988GTU

obd 2 tuning devices

Post by 1988GTU »

Been researching the market in regards to OBD-II tuning and have been ending up with more uncertainty and questions every time I dig deeper into it.

The objective is to have a tuner that can support many manufacturer brands (expand with). Also to diag/read codes for those same vehicles it supports.

I dont mind the requirement of buying 'credits' for tuning, however, I dont support needing credits for diagnostics for vehicles should I need to plug into any random common vehicle in order to scan, read, reset codes.

Purpose up front is for tuning/configuring 2004+ GM light-truck (canyon, colorado etc).
IE: engine, trans, bcm reflash/changing. Naturally Aspirated and Forced Induction. Auto and manual transmission.

It's preferable to not needing a laptop, but it's not a deal breaker and can be justifiable, unless cost is stupid high in comparison and little to benefit.

Any suggestions? Anything to stay away from? Anyone to NOT buy through?

Thanks!

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: obd 2 tuning devices

Post by 3X00-Modified »

For tuning your best platform will probably be HPTuners... Regarding something that you can pull codes without needing credits, I'm not sure how the HPTuning scanner software works it may or may not support that. I have a Generic OBDII cable that I use in conjunction with some free software I got online to pull codes from various vehicles. The requirement of not being on a laptop I think would require you to buy a completely separate handheld code reader in conjunction with whatever you find that will tune your spectrum. I honestly don't think an all in one unit exists to do what you want.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

HP Tuners should be able to program your 6 cylinder and LS/LT V8 trucks, RWD cars, etc.

I am not sure what there FWD tuning selection is like though.

The hand held tuners - SCT, Diablosport, etc - are usually one vehicle only and can't be used on multiple cars.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

3X00-Modified wrote:For tuning your best platform will probably be HPTuners... Regarding something that you can pull codes without needing credits, I'm not sure how the HPTuning scanner software works it may or may not support that. I have a Generic OBDII cable that I use in conjunction with some free software I got online to pull codes from various vehicles. The requirement of not being on a laptop I think would require you to buy a completely separate handheld code reader in conjunction with whatever you find that will tune your spectrum. I honestly don't think an all in one unit exists to do what you want.
I have a generic scanner/reader, but it's capabilities are limited. The not needing a laptop is NOT a requirement. It's a preference. Thank you for the feedback.

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

bonecrrusher wrote:HP Tuners should be able to program your 6 cylinder and LS/LT V8 trucks, RWD cars, etc.

I am not sure what there FWD tuning selection is like though.

The hand held tuners - SCT, Diablosport, etc - are usually one vehicle only and can't be used on multiple cars.
Hopefully it supports 4 cylinder trucks/rwd applications as well.

_________
-------------
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote:I'm not sure how the HPTuning scanner software works it may or may not support that.
Scanning is unlimited. The only thing you need credits for is to write a PCM.

Cliff Scott
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

HP tuners is being a really solid candidate, but so has efi live. Just from the bits and pieces of info I have been digging up, efi doesn't support F.I. , just n/a.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I can't understand why EFI live would be limited to N/A unless its an issue with them not hacking and adding support for those ECU calibrations because in reality Boost support is all in the ECU of the car. For instance, I modified a Venture bin so the MAP sensor will register positive pressure and adjust/use the tables supplied in the bin that are over 100kPa, yes some of the physical tables in the bin don't have that positive level and that's the limitation, it's not limited by DHP.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

BS on EFI Live not supporting Boost.

EFI Live is widely used in the diesel community - especially on Duramax's and they push 35+ PSI.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

The canyon community with the I4's claimed EFI lacked the capability. Really wished a local rep with experience was available.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Quite possibly its the ECU lacking the capability... I mean you can't control boost if the ECU has no tables that will recognize it and that's not a fault of the tuning equipment... Way too many people don't understand that and point the finger at the wrong thing. Can't make orange juice if you start with a pile of lemons... The juicer will be the same though.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Sent out an inquiry to tech support and finally received back a response from efi live folks.

EFI would require separate software (safe to assume more $$$) to support different manufacturers-brands. Aside from GM products, they could not guarantee support to much if any other OEM's (very limited to the other oem's it may support) and the capabilities would vary.

Too much if's and maybe's not to mention the need for different software ($) to go with efi live. Now to wait for hptuners tech support...

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Getting back to this...

Feedback from all available options provides some helps to kno upfront then find out after invested, hence the delayed update...

Hp tuners only supprts pcm and tcm tunning. No other modules are able to be configured.
What was not answered was if its capable of resetting abs srs or other bcm codes not related to the pcm or tcm.
If anyone knows that answer that'd add more value to hp tuners. Why they don't disclose the information fully drives negative assumptions.

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

<--- Hazzzes HP Tuners

_________
-------------