1996 Mr.Pink

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 1996 Mr.Pink

Post by 3X00-Modified »

While I'm sitting here on my thumb waiting for parts to arrive, (3rd apply piston and HD diff) I did some checking and ordered up a 1997 Venture, 99 Montana ABS pump module. While I was swapping over the masters I noticed that the module has small holes in it, and it clicked in my head, I wonder if the smaller holes in this unit restrict flow to the calipers and whatnot. SO I figured it would be ideal to run the ABS module that is meant for the 1" bore master vs trying to run mine and having it restrict flow and make me feel like the piston upgrade did nothing.

Got a master/abs pump on ebay for $76 so I'll have a spare 1" master now and the ABS pump to run if it's truly different. If not I will just put it aside as a spare unit.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Where are the holes you're talking about? Depending on where they are it could make zero difference.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It's the passages within the assembly that direct fluid from the master up and out the ports on it to the lines.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Pressure shouldn't change then, but a bigger port could help reaction time. That would make sense.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Bleeding the system should be faster, I'd hope.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Ok, well the ABS pump is a bit different, it's taller above the motors so I'm not even sure if it will fit. Either way the current pedal that I have does not necessitate even thinking of changing that unit. It's right at the top and nice and responsive as it should be. I'm curious to see how it responds the next time I put the 12" Camaro calipers/brakes back on.

Lots of work in the past month on this pig...

Quick update and progress...

Pulled the trans to try my last RevMax converter that I had made for free to replace the "rebuilt" one that had slipping lockup. Spoiler alert** LUCKILY after doing everything I did this time around the converter is working as it should be.

Now on to what was done.
Had the LSD serviced since it took a good beating after I broke the axle and it spun freely in 2015... Been driving on it since then and always felt that it seemed a bit loose after that. Come to find out a mod done to make the plates fit the HD diff compromised the spider gear which caused it to gaul up easy and slip easier. That's been repaired and it's back in and running...

On top of that I decided it was time to upgrade to my 4t65e 03+ ratchet type sprags for the input and 3rd gear clutches. That also required me to purchase new input clutches since the splines are different. Also while I was in there I found 4th gear was slipping, not sure why but made some changes there, removed every other piston return spring, removed shift passage check ball and went back to metallic type Raybestos clutches vs the Alto reds.

Next on the list was acquiring the Sonnax 3rd gear billet piston... That took way too long and really shouldn't have so that's what held up this whole project. Once I got that in the build was on it's way. New Raybestos stage 1 65e Input clutches, New Alto 2nd gear pack, re-used 3rd gear Raybestos Z-pak clutches, and Metallic Raybestos 4th clutches. Replaced all the bushings, replaced the input hub due to some wear from 2nd gear splines, replaced axle seals with axle seal/support bearing's (if you've never seen these they have a roller bearing that helps support the axle itself, really neat) New thrust washers, new drive chain and of course the RevMax high stall converter (existing one was a stock 2095 stall unit). This is the first time I've actually messed with valve body passages and check balls and I have to say... 3rd gear shift is NICE and so is 4th. I've always thought 3rd just slipped in and was so slow... I'm hoping this change gains me a few in the 1/4 as well because now it's real quick and firm! I'll get some pictures up later today.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Used my new engine support brace.... Way easier than trying to work around a damn hoist, and then having a jack stand under the engine.

Spider failure

Burnt 4th gear clutches

Excess wear on input hub where 2nd gear interfaces

New axle support bearing/seals

Sonnax 3rd gear performance piston

ZZP aluminum trans pan

Checkball removal for improved 4th gear shift, and hopefully overall apply pressure.

3rd gear up and down shift orifices drilled out for quicker improved shifting

New Chain

Channel plate and valve body fun...

Then I stripped out this hole...

All back in on Sat night.

Woke up and remembered I forgot a spring.... LOVELY

She's all up and running now and feels great. I may even take the trans out over the winter and drill out the 2nd gear shift orifices because of how nice the 3rd gear shift feels.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Ouch, had to pull again it just for the spring!
Maybe you were just tired when you left out the spring.
Nice clean area you have to work in.
So did you helicoil the hole or just use a longer bolt in that hole?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Had to helicoil that hole, there is no option for a long bolt since it's already an extremely long special bolt to begin with. As far as having to remove the trans again, it wasn't that bad, just put the engine support back on, took off the drivers side mount and then the bell housing bolts, That's all I had completed as of sat night, luckily.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Nice job!

I'm curious of two things.
Do you foresee a pump mod/upgrade with the drilled orfice(s) ?

and... When you woke up realizing ya forgot something, did you know right then and there what it was you forgot or did you just have that known feeling and quickly identified it?

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I woke up knowing exactly what I forgot and actually thought if I could leave it out and rely on just the shifter gate.. LOL

Regarding pump I was not informed by Jeff that it would need any upgrades or changes to support the orifice changes. He said he always drills those out especially after installing the sonnax piston. Seems to be running just fine so I will just run with it and I'll eventually run it by him to see if there is anything you can even do, I'm not sure what can be done to improve flow either.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

You do nice work. Trans looks awesome painted that color with the alum pan. I love the feel of an auto trans that snaps through the shifts nice and crisp.

I wish my car had the 4 speed, project for another day.

I like how "transaxle" is spelled incorrectly on the package for the bearing retainers, lol

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Spell checker fail! lol

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »