Coolant temperature, PROM OBD1 FANS UGH

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
91quad4

Coolant temperature, PROM OBD1 FANS UGH

Post by 91quad4 »

After reading so many conflicting articles and forums, I want to ask everyone on this forum. I have a 2.3l quad 4 High output, the PO has a 160 degree thermostat in it, and the engine fans kicking on at 180. Im in upstate NY (only running in the summer), I'm thinking this is to cold for the oil to burn off water. I know the quad 4s had huge problems with thermal cycling and heat. But is 160 to cold? What should the oil temp at a minimum be to burn off condensation?

part 2... can someone please explain to me ODB1 and chips and what not or show were where to look. He had the fans programed to turn on at 180, Can anyone raise this if needed to be?. I was thinking maybe a 180 thermostat, with fans on at 195? anyones input would be really helpful.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

GT_Indy

Re: Coolant temperature, PROM OBD1 FANS UGH

Post by GT_Indy »

I have only ever programmed the v6 OBD1 BIN files so I don't know where to find the XDF definition file for Tuner pro to do a quad4 OBD1 BIN file.
I am using the APU1 auto prom unit from moates.net when I do OBD1 tuning on my Beretta's. I do have a quad4 myself and I would be interested to know as well because I do plan on making a backup of the BIN file from the factory chip.
What I do is I read the factory chip to the computer using their male to male pin adapter, then I edit the BIN file in tuner pro with the corect xdf file, then I program and verify a 27SF512 chip, then I plug that chip into a moates chip adapter and then plug that all into the ECM. They have video on youtube demonstrating this if you need a visual example.

As far as the 160'F thermostat. Most all older cars from the past used to have a 160'F thermostat. My 71 olds 455 v8 has a 160'F in it and it doesn't have any water in the oil. I believe my quad4 also has a 160'F in it and I have never seen water issues in there as well.
Personally I feel anything over 200'F is to much.

91quad4

Post by 91quad4 »

Thats good information, Ill have to watch the video on ODB1. I really don't know anything about it. its my only Odb1 car I have owned.

I thought most older cars actually had a 180 in it?

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

It varied, some older cars had 160 or 180 depending from what I could find. When I did the Turbo 3.1 LG5 v6 in a 90 Beretta I used a 160'F thermostat because the 195 was too hot and it worked fine.

If you are looking to turbocharge, as far as the v6, look into Code59 forums and Info and also look into the TUrbo Gradn Prix LG5 v6 and the $8F EEPROM code. Also look into Gearhead-EFI.com forums for information as well.
However, for a Quad4 or I4 I'm not sure what to use for tuning.
There is also the Megasquire Standalone ECU which can be pricey but can work for different applications.

Also look into WOT-Tech.com and ask Ben about tuning, I'm not sure but I believe he can tune a car if you bring it after doing your own mods to it. There is also Milzy Motorsports based in Ohio who can modify and tune based on your desires, it will cost and you will not see your car for a long time, but it will be done for you. They do auto/manual and engine swaps, turbocharging, etc. I have heard both good and bad mixed reviews about Milzy Motorsports, they can also work with you if you wanted to source your own parts.

91quad4

Post by 91quad4 »

I doubt ill ever turbocharge or do any tuning, I just was wondering if 160 is warm enough for the water to be evaporated out of the engine. I will never put a 195 in this car. the quads don't do well with heat. But I just don't want the engine to do poorly on the other end of the spectrum being TO cold.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

91quad4 wrote:I doubt ill ever turbocharge or do any tuning, I just was wondering if 160 is warm enough for the water to be evaporated out of the engine. I will never put a 195 in this car. the quads don't do well with heat. But I just don't want the engine to do poorly on the other end of the spectrum being TO cold.
The 160'F in my quad has been fine so far. But I think my fan on/off temp settings are factory.

91quad4

Post by 91quad4 »

Yikes, thats a lot of thermo cycling. if you sit in traffic a lot

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

91quad4 wrote:Yikes, thats a lot of thermo cycling. if you sit in traffic a lot
Its not that bad. Being a summer only car the AC is almost always on anyways so it stays around 160 +/- depending. If it does get hot and cycle it will cycle at factory fan temps until it drives then it can cool below back to 160 +/- depending.

What I believe hurts them is not letting them warm up before driving. I feel a slower more even warm up is better than just driving on a cold start.

91quad4

Post by 91quad4 »

Thats true, I don't have AC in my car. but i need a accurate water temp gauge