Battery drain

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Zer0

Battery drain

Post by Zer0 »

Ok, i have a 96 Z26. Every time u shut the car off, within 10 mins its dead. I've tested the battery, and im taking the alternator in today to have the regulator tested. But i also need to test the accessory relay switch to see if its working or fried. If its dead, theres my power drain. So here my question, does anyone know where this relay is? Its not under my dash and i have yet to find it under the hood, so if anyone can tell me where this thing is, thatd be great.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: RE: Battery drain

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Zer0 wrote:Ok, i have a 96 Z26. Every time u shut the car off, within 10 mins its dead. I've tested the battery, and im taking the alternator in today to have the regulator tested. But i also need to test the accessory relay switch to see if its working or fried. If its dead, theres my power drain. So here my question, does anyone know where this relay is? Its not under my dash and i have yet to find it under the hood, so if anyone can tell me where this thing is, thatd be great.
I will upload a wiring diagram when I get to work today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Battery drain

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Somewhere in here it should show you the ignition on circuit so you can see what is turning on the accessories. It may not tell you exactly where it is, but at least you'll know what type of circuit your looking for and you could possibly follow it down from the column ignition switch.
Attachments
1996-system-wiring-diagrams.pdf
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 362 times

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Are your fog lights still on after turning the car off?
That happened to us in the past, the relay somehow welded itself in the on position.
Interior lights also turn off after the timer ends do they stay on?
Last edited by GT_Indy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Your battery can't be much good to go dead in 10 minutes. Or, that is one hell of a drain.
I had a battery that had an internal short. I could charge it up and sitting on my bench, it would drop
down to 11 volts overnight.

Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

The batter is still new and i had it tested, tests said it was perfect, alternator came back good...the lights all turn off, everything turns off except the clock...the radio itself turns off, but the clock dont...i was told to check the accessory relay, that it could of shorted and is causing a power drain when the car is off...iv looked everywhere and have yet to find this relay...

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I didn't think there was a relay for the accessory stuff, I thought it came directly from the switch on the steering column.
I wonder if the switch is bad causing some things to stay on?

Has anyone ever dome wiring behind the radio or under the dash? I wonder if someone "Fixed" something and the wires are messed up from it.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

If you have the factory radio, they have been known to develop this problem.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/berett ... ery-63341/