fusible link to alternator

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
aintlifegrand

Post by aintlifegrand »

Blew another fusible link (3rd one in a year) to alternator.  Mechanic charges $150 to replace it, and im getting tired of paying for the same problem repeatedly.  First question : How hard is it to replace myself?  I know its down by the starter but how do I locate and replace?  Second question:  Two mechanics have strongly advised against splicing in a servicable fuse of lower aperage to accompany the fusible link.  It seems that I could splice this in, run it to the top of the engine compartment, and it would blow before the fusible link, providing a quick fix.  Why is this such a bad idea?  Third:  What would be shorted that would send too much current throught the alternator?  Everything works except the radio, which I had disconnected by a mechanic (it was shorted).  What else is on the alternator circuit that might be shorted-shorting out, and how do i find it?  Thanks in advance for any advice, you all have been invaluable in helping me with my POS beretta.

A little background that might help:  After replacing head gasget, i hooked alternator back up wrong, turned key, sparks and pops ensued.  Id guess this caused the problem short, but how do I find it?  Everything works great for a random lenght of time, then the link blows.  Thanks again everyone.

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

The fuse and connections could cause a hot spot, but I don't really see why this would be worse than a fuseable link.  Perhaps you should search on the internet some.  You can find very large fuses.  I would just make sure that all the connections are soldered and properly sealed from moisture.

It will not be easy to find the wiring problem unless it goes from an intermittent problem to a permenant one.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Mr Goodwrench

Post by Mr Goodwrench »

Sounds like u have a alternator or some thing electrical that back feeds and blows the link.  

Replacing a blown fusible link is a little tricky.  just make the battery is disconected!!!!!  u just unbolt it from both alt an starter.  trace an pull the wire through the wireloom an feed the new one in..

as for the splicing a wire (make shure that the wire can handle a 100+amps) with a fuse of at least 100+ amps. with proper weather proof conectors..

Mr Goodwrench

wayne1971

Post by wayne1971 »

Remove (neg - terminal and drop starter) some guys don't like dropping the starter, but I do it gives you access to most of the links that will give you a head ache. Test fuse links wiring by bending the fuses wire on both sides to see if it is "brittle or really soft" in either case cut about 2" from fuse on both sides and solder new fuse in place- heat shrink if able or good ole 3M duct tape WILL DO.... lol. Check all your ground straps and postitive + connections.