'91 beretta gt questions... a few

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

'91 Beretta GT Questions

I just last week picked up an almost 9 out of 10, '91 Teal/Turquoise Beretta GT, fully loaded 3.1 V-6, 5-speed, 134,750 miles, etc.

I've got just a few questions.

1>  My oil pressure gauge "floats", but mostly stays pinned to the high side, should I change the sending unit/switch, gauge, or both?

2> I've replace the parking brake release button with a new one, as the old one was broken, but it still seems not to engage the gear/ratchet/pawl mechanisim all the time.  Is there a trick to setting the plastic arm in the mechanisim?

3> Looking for the factory in dash cd player, anyone got/know where to find, and how much to shell out?  (I want to keep it stock)

4> I've not yet had a chance to pull the spark plugs, but occasionaly at idle, I get a miss, no other time do I have indications of misfire.  Should I replace the plugs with the Platinum +4 and new wires?  (The person I got car from just had a coil pack replaced).

5> Also, when cold, mostly, you seem to have to baby the gas, as if you try to drive "normally", the car seems to buck like a bronco until it warms up.  Very rarely, does this happen when when, but it did once or twice.

6> Just tonight, went out, car went click click, like a bad solenoid.  I played with the shifter and pushed the clutch pedal in and out a few times (thinking it was the safety switch??), it started, but now I'm worried.  Is there something I should look for or test to verify before I throw money away and get frustrated?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to sharing my experiences over the next few months with my new acquisition (I'm planning to drive this gem back to NJ from California next week, and want to feel comfortable that I have most all of the problems sorted out).

Post by Guest »

to respond to your questions

1. replace the sending unit
2.Nope no trick just be sure the mechanism is clean and free of debris---you would be surprised how many people spill soda in that area and it gums up the mechanism
3.Ebay--about 100-150$
4. I would replace the plugs with the factory AC delco plugs and inspect the wires--see of they are cracked or brittle--if not leave them alone
5.Be sure the throttle body is clean and the car does not have any vaccum leaks especially the line by the battery.
6.Be sure to inspect the battery terminals and conections---this is a very very common cause of this symptom...the battery terminals get corroded and lose connection intermittently--otherwise you may have a clutch pedal switch going bad, starter motor dying, or floor mat under the clutch pedal not allowing you to depress the pedal fully

What part of NJ are you in--I am in NJ also--southern NJ.

Post by Guest »

Thanks.  I did read somewhere that the oil pressure sending unit uses a special socket, is this true, and if so, what type?

I'm recently transplanted from Silicon Valley staying at my parents in Neptune City, by Belmar, previously lived in Westfield, Chester, North Plainfield, etc.  Ultimately to be relocating to the Woodbridge area.

I'll keep an eye on e-Bay, but so far, no OEM CD-In dash units.....

THanks!

Post by Guest »

whne you go to the auto parts store to buy the sending unit walk through the tool isle and grab the socket also--it is a deep well socket usually black in color.

Post by Guest »

OK, car started several times today with no "click-click" issues when turning ignition key.

I've isolated that the battery is fine, alternator is fine, etc., but now have concerns if
indeed maybe there is some sort of adjustment for a "neutral safety switch" of sorts
associated with the depression of the clutch pedal to engage the starter.

Is there an adjustment?  If so what/how?  If not, then I'm assuming that the load on the
starter could me a contributing factor for the solenoid to engage it.

It has only happened 2 times in 5 days (click-click), and it's reminicent of almost
like an automatic transmissions neutral safety switch not working, allowing the
torque converter to engage and turn with the starter.  (This is a 5-speed, and yes
it was in neutral).

Thanks for anticipated responses.

Bob

90_Black_GTZ

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

The problem with that logic is, you would hear nothing if it was the safety switch.  When I don't have the clutch all the way depressed, it's just a turn of the key and .............

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles

Post by Guest »

sounds like the starter motor itself--the click click you hear is the solenoid trying to engage the starter but the starter is out to lunch

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem. today while driving my car died too, Just like the battery was dead. I got a jump and it started right up made the 20min drive home and died again. Towards the end it wouldnd idle, was surging badly, the voltmeter dropped to zero and the ses light flashed a couple of times but then went off again. I tested the alternator the other day (multimeter on the battery while it was running and it was at 14.75v) Just after I got home i tested the battery and it was fully charged still but when I turn the key nothing happens, no click and the lights dont dim at all either. It is a new battery about 6 months old and a new starter solenoid a month ago. P.S. it is an 88gt v6 5spd with 142000miles

Post by Guest »

P.S. I was looking at it again today and when its running and i turn everything on (turn signals heater, rear window defogger, all lights winshield wipers) the voltage drops to 12v. but goes back up to 14v or so when i turn it all off. Shouldnt it be at around 13-14v all the time??
Also, I noticed the alternator is kinda hot too. Is this bad?

Post by Guest »

Ok it was the alternator

Post by Guest »

I put the bosch +4 in my car and  I like them alot. Its a 90 gtz