Sealed, ported, or bandpass box?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

Hey guys, My friend has 2 12" sony subs, 1,300 watts each in the back of my beretta. We put them in there for now, but they are in a cheap box. Like the title says, we were thinking about buying a better box and were wondering whats the best way to go? thanks for any help

94beretta

Post by 94beretta »

Personally I had one bandpass box and wasnt the kind of bass i wanted , had one ported box with 3 12's kenwood excelon series which wasnt great because you could hear the air rushing through the ports,since those 2 boxes, i have only used sealed boxes, the bass seams to a bit stiffer,also look up the specs for your subs, sometimes the recommend a certain type of box and make sure the inside dimmensions are correct for subs

1994 Beretta
1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic 5.0
1990 Beretta (T-boned)
gar187er

Post by gar187er »

1300 RMS!??!?!

either way more oftne then not a ported will give you the sound your going for...sealed is going to be a tighter punchier type of bass, while the ported will be a boomier lower bass...

I ran a 12" pioneer in my retta in a q-logic bandpass with 300 watts to it....reason I went bandpass was for a couple reasons...it offered better protection for the sub (i hauled alot of stuff in my trunk), and aesthetically it looked better when i mounted 12" neon tube inside

if you do get a ported box, make sure the ports arent directly behind the magnet of the woofers...Ive seen a few of these at low prices....thats not how a ported box is supposed to work....

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

they're 1,300 max each, 380 rms each. I was thinking about trying out the ported and I think I will now. I don't know what my friend wants to do with them tho, cause they're technically his subs. Anyways, thanks for the info guys.

90_Black_GTZ

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

Sealed is more acoustically accurate.  Ported gives you a false peak at the ports tuned frequency.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles
31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

Would there happen to be a way to make the sealed perform any better? like anything I could add to it, just wondering. I'll probably just buy a better one than the one in there now.

94beretta

Post by 94beretta »

make sure its a good sealed box,all the subs screws are in and tight ,built correctly,thick enough material,seems are all sealed,you could add some cotton or foam to the inside of the box.

1994 Beretta
1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic 5.0
1990 Beretta (T-boned)
HateMyAuto

Post by HateMyAuto »

Does the shape of the box greatly affect the sound of a sub? I would assume that the shape would affect the sound to some degree, but how much? Trapezoidal(cubic) boxes are probably the best, because that seems to be the standard, but what about a triangular box?

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Odd shapes are best because they reduce the likelyhood of standing waves inside the box.

The box requirements depend on the speaker requirements.  Q factors, resonant frequencies, etc...  Just look at the recommended box sizes for your speakers and go from there.  Build your own box with heavy wood and good braces.  If you use a ported or bandpass box, use large enough ports (not at extremes of large/short or small/long) and smooth all the edges off so that there is no rough area for the air to move against.  This almost always removes the air sound from them.  Also make sure that the port is at least the diameter from any other wall or obstructions where the ends of the port are.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

so which way would be the best to face a normal sealed box in a beretta? Right now I have it facing towards the front just behind the rear seats. I read somewhere that facing towards the back is best, but wanted to see if thats true with the beretta or true at all.

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

It all depends on what you want.  Turning them backwards is just using the trunk as a type of bandpass enclosure.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

You never cease to amaze me Rex.    

I'm a big fan of sealed boxes for the purpose of acoustic accuracy for sure.  I had a bandpass box once, it was very nice, but it just didn't deliver the type of bass that I wanted.  Now I prefer the type of bass that 6x9s make, I'd rather have the weight savings and trunk space.  

93 GTs

Post by Guest »

sealed boxes is all i use i have 2 12's in a sealed box and they hit really hard. my friend had two of the same subs in a sealed box with a 1'000 watt amp to them and they hit so hard thet his hach startef to come losse if i was u i would go with the sealed boxes

31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

well, thanks for all the help guys, looks like i'm just gonna go buy a better sealed box. The subs are in a cheapo ebay sealed box right now.

BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

(89gtu @ Feb. 22 2007,06:04)QUOTEsealed boxes is all i use i have 2 12's in a sealed box and they hit really hard. my friend had two of the same subs in a sealed box with a 1'000 watt amp to them and they hit so hard thet his hach startef to come losse if i was u i would go with the sealed boxes
I always enjoy a good "they hit so hard" BS story.

I prefer ported enclosures myself. I've had both sealed and ported and, I'll take a ported box over sealed but that just goes more with the music I listen to. It depend son the subs as well, I have a pair of 12" Diamond D3 subs and at first had them in the recommended size sealed box and they just weren't doing it for me. I switched to the maze port and the they sound 1000 times better. I have them on a 1000 watt amp and they hit so hard my back window just flew right off.