1995 Z26 Ac problems

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
ccnova

1995 Z26 Ac problems

Post by ccnova »

Hello everyone, I bought a 1995 Z26 with 3100 and 105,000 miles for my daughters first school car. We love the car and have not had any problems until now when the AC quit. When you turn on the ac the compressor does not even kick on. I checked the fuse and its ok but I assume there is a relay also somewhere. Can anyone tell me where it is or what else I should look at first? I work for Coca-Cola and the refrigeration  guy can check the freon on Monday but what can I check first?
Thanks for the help.
ccnova

rweatherford

1995 Z26 Ac problems

Post by rweatherford »

Probably not a lot.  There will be a relay, a sensor (which you probably cannot test without a scan tool that reads live PCM data) and wire that goes to the compressor.  

If there is no voltage to the compressor then there likely is no command from the PCM.  You would have to find a wiring diagram.  

There will be a grounding wire from the PCM to activate the relay and then probably a 12V power from the relay to the compressor clutch.  Usually the connector at the compressor is two wires and one is a ground.  Sometimes the compressor clutch is grounded internally and there is no ground wire, but not usually on a GM car.

I'd have the refrigeration guy check for proper pressures.

There is one thing you could do.....   Hot wire the compressor on by bypassing the relay.  Then see if the AC line freezes up.  If so the freon is low.  If the compressor does not come on then there is a problem with the compressor or ground wire.  Of course you have to be sure you are on the correct wire and have a good 12v source.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

ccnova

1995 Z26 Ac problems

Post by ccnova »

Thanks for the reply! One question can you tell me which relay is for the ac?
Thanks again
ccnova

rweatherford

1995 Z26 Ac problems

Post by rweatherford »

No.  They didn't put all of them in the same place.  Perhaps someone with your year car can.  Otherwise you will have to feel or listen to them to see which one is activating.

I'm pretty sure they will be located in a group of 3-4 relays under the hood on the firewall or over by the passengers side strut tower.  I think one is the fan, one is the compressor and one is the fuel pump.  They are big and black.

Cliff may be able to help more.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

mahes111

Re: 1995 Z26 Ac problems

Post by mahes111 »

Your article was very informative to me...
Thanks for your sharing... Thank u so much....!

Refrigeration Equipment