GTZ header..listen up..someone found something...

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

Post by Guest »

Quote (Dante93GTZ @ Dec. 17 2001,01:42)Here's one of those manifolds on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....9268903

If anyone wants to give it a shot.
Hey Bri, those are direct bolt ups right?

I put a bid on 'em, so if I win them I'm just going to port the hell out of them

Post by Guest »

Nevermind, I just realized that it said H.O. exhaust manifold from a Quad 4. Stupid me

On a second note, does our Quad 4 utilize a dual outlet exhaust manifold? If not, then that means I'd have to get a 2 into 1 downpipe into the cat right?

Post by Guest »

It is a direct bolt up.  Its actually the LD2 header, I've never heard of it coming on a 1991 model though.

Anyhoo - Its the one you want.

You will have to get an exhaust shop to custom build a dual to single setup or something.

Post by Guest »

Hey, how about this manifold?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....9268633

It's off a '96 Calais with the Quad 4. I think this is the one that ours utilizes, so would it be better to buy this one and port it? Or work with the other one? Once I think about it, I doubt ours uses a dual outlet exhaust manifold.

Post by Guest »

Oh yeah, just thinking about it - It looks as though it only has a lower heat sheild... You may have to use some header wrap on it to keep it from destroying your steering boots.

Post by Guest »

Quote (Dante93GTZ @ Dec. 18 2001,1:56)It is a direct bolt up.  Its actually the LD2 header, I've never heard of it coming on a 1991 model though.

Anyhoo - Its the one you want.

You will have to get an exhaust shop to custom build a dual to single setup or something.
I wonder. If we did utilize the LD2 header, at least the dual outlet one. And instead of using a 2 to 1 pipe, could we just use a dual setup? I know this probably would hurt performance in a way. But i'm thinking, if we ran duals, and just had them 2" and each supplied with a high flow cat, would there be any increase in power? Or will the typical dual on a 4 cylinder power decrease occur?

Just pondering
-Steve

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Dual exhaust is not necessary and only adds weight.

I say stick to a good 2.25 or 2.5 inch system on the Quad.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Post by Guest »

Quote (rweatherford @ Dec. 19 2001,09:57)Dual exhaust is not necessary and only adds weight.

I say stick to a good 2.25 or 2.5 inch system on the Quad.
Hey Rex, what would you recommend: The 96 Calais Manifold, or the 91 Quad 4 Grand Am?

Thanks
-Steve

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Get a 90-92 HO manifold OR the older 4-2-1 style manifold off a LO Quad4 and rebuild the lower portion with better pipes.

The 93 up HO and LO manifolds are the same and are much smaller than the earlier stuff.

Be sure to upgrade your exhaust all the way to the motor and grind out the flange that mounts to the manifold.  Otherwise you are wasting your time and money.

People are running 14's with either the 90-92 HO or earlier tubular LO manifolds when modified.  No one has dyno'd between them for actual results, but they are considered the best thing short of a complete custom header.

Rex Weatherford

Post by Guest »

Quote (rweatherford @ Dec. 20 2001,01:01)Get a 90-92 HO manifold OR the older 4-2-1 style manifold off a LO Quad4 and rebuild the lower portion with better pipes.

The 93 up HO and LO manifolds are the same and are much smaller than the earlier stuff.

Be sure to upgrade your exhaust all the way to the motor and grind out the flange that mounts to the manifold.  Otherwise you are wasting your time and money.

People are running 14's with either the 90-92 HO or earlier tubular LO manifolds when modified.  No one has dyno'd between them for actual results, but they are considered the best thing short of a complete custom header.
Hey Rex, when you say grind out the flange, what flange are you speaking of? I take it when you say grind out, that you mean grind it to match the width of the exhaust manifold. Is this true?

-Steve

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (puck @ Dec. 20 2001,01:11)Quote Hey Rex, when you say grind out the flange, what flange are you speaking of? I take it when you say grind out, that you mean grind it to match the width of the exhaust manifold. Is this true?

-Steve
This flange when stock:

Should look like this flange when finished:

That is assuming that you use a 90-92 HO manifold and do this to it: (stock is on top)

Let me know if you have more questions.

Also look here for some good Quad info.

http://users.skynet.be/nvmygtz/

Look under the "Reference" section.

Rex Weatherford

4DoorGTZ

Post by 4DoorGTZ »

That site you posted Rex has pics of the LO manifold with the dual outs. Looks bad ###, Gonna be the first thing I do to my quad, once all my body parts arrive and get put together.

06 Trailblazer SS Bored & Stroked 408ci, ZR1 Cam, Trick Flow heads, TVS1900, Built Trans w/stall 600AWHP
09 Solstice GXP Targa Coupe 1 of 1266
93 Med. Garnet Red Q4 GTZ 1 of 621
Bfest '01, '02, '04, '05

Post by Guest »

Rex, here are pictures of the Quad 4 manifold that i'm buying:

Do you see any problems arising from this dual outlet manifold as compared to the single outlet manifolds?

Thanks
-Steve

Post by Guest »

Nevermind, I just saw this picture on the site you posted

That looks awesome. Bet it flows quite nicely too!

4DoorGTZ

Post by 4DoorGTZ »

found a couple of them LO dual out manifolds while browsing the junkyard today... one on a 90 GA, another on a 89 Calais. Any difference? (looked the same to me) I was pissed cuz my lovely walmart tool set didnt come with a 15mm socket (goes 13, 14, 17, 19) So I'll be going back tomorrow $10can aint bad, I'll probably get both, one had the upper heat sheild missing.

06 Trailblazer SS Bored & Stroked 408ci, ZR1 Cam, Trick Flow heads, TVS1900, Built Trans w/stall 600AWHP
09 Solstice GXP Targa Coupe 1 of 1266
93 Med. Garnet Red Q4 GTZ 1 of 621
Bfest '01, '02, '04, '05