Rotating tires

Archived topics from the Wheels and Tires Forum

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

Is rotating your tires something you should do yourself or should I bring it someplace to get it done.  My rear tires are brand new, and the front have  very little tread left.  And with the difference in tread, will the car handle any better.

BerettaSS

Rotating tires

Post by BerettaSS »

You can rotate them your self as long as you have the right tools to get the lugs tight enough (impact wrench).  If I am correct the proper rotation is:

the passeger rear wheel to the drivers front,
the drivers front wheel to the drivers rear
the drivers rear wheel to passenger front
the passenger front wheel to passenger rear.

Unless of course you have a GTU which has directional wheels and a standard rotation is impossible.  Tire rotation is a standard maintenance proceedure and should be done very regularly.  It is damaging not only to the tires but the suspention to not rotate them.  It is neglect.

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

well, my GT has directional eagel tires, so, I could just switch each side, such as right front to right rear, and left front to left rear.  And if I do not have  a impact wrench, can't I just use my wrench and manually tighten the nuts.

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

Directional tires can only be run in one direction, hence directional.  You cannot do a standard rotation with directionals either.  With directionals, it is front to back, back to front.  If you do a standard rotation they will wear bad, and ride will suffer.  Not too mention the noise....  As for doing it without an impact gun, try to use a torque wrench.  The lugs should be tightened to 100lbs.

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

DO NOT tighten your lug nuts with an impact gun!!!
Only retarded lazy tire shops use impact guns to tighten lugs. It weakens(they can break), and sometimes strips the studs. Also it makes the lugs nearly impossible to get off.
As already stated 100 ft/lbs with a torque wrench. You should check them again in a few hundred miles, just to make sure.

z284pwr

Rotating tires

Post by z284pwr »

HMM, I guess were lazy then, we've been using an Impact Wrench on the Beretta for 14 years, and guess what, the studs are still fine and dandy, you turn them on yourself, before you use the gun, so you don't strip it, and it doesn't make them impossible to get off, if the gun got them on, it'll get them off, and I've never checked every hundred miles because Im pretty sure they are on there good and tight, and I usually look at them all every day or two.....hmm, I guess only the retarded part is the problem, because you've got to be a complete retard to just put the lug on and then just go with the wrench, yes that is how you strip them...

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

Ok answer this:
How many people carry an IMPACT gun in the trunk of their car for an emergergency? It doesn't seem to me that its going to be easy to get impact tightened lugs off with the cheezy lug nut wrench that comes with our cars......

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

yea, I just rotated my tires, they are directional, so only front to back, back to front.  Those assholes put the lug nuts on sooooooo tight that I used one of those 4 way lug nut removers with different sizes, put that on and used a Pipe on the other end to  turn it.  It was almost impossible, but I got them all off, tomorrow I will go to get the front aligned. And I did not use a impact gun, it makes than to dam hard to get off with a normal wrench, I tightened them all with a wrench and they are tight.

Canada

Rotating tires

Post by Canada »

100 ft lbs is a very good general rating for all vechiles. You should always do that. If you don't have a torque wrench, get one, the snap action ones are nice.As you found out if you over tighten lugs with an impact they are a pain to get off, I have to new lugs on my right rear wheel, as the shop before me liked the impact.

As far as rotating tires with bidirectional wheels, your absolutly correct, cross the front and bring them back, bring the front straight up.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

It is possible to use an impact gun to put your lugs on.  You just need to use a torque stick.  Not just a socket on the end of the gun.  Actually i have a really nice impact gun that you can choose the torque much like a torque wrench.  And yes i recomend the Snap on Torque wrench.  It is a little pricy depending on what rating you get (mine goes to 300lbs) but it is well worth it.

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

Quote (95Z26 @ Aug. 16 2002,10:50)It is possible to use an impact gun to put your lugs on.  You just need to use a torque stick.  Not just a socket on the end of the gun.  Actually i have a really nice impact gun that you can choose the torque much like a torque wrench.  And yes i recomend the Snap on Torque wrench.  It is a little pricy depending on what rating you get (mine goes to 300lbs) but it is well worth it.
Yes, this is true..
BUT: MOST places don't do this!
Thats what I was trying to say....

stang&2Birds

Rotating tires

Post by stang&2Birds »

Hmm, I didn't know that Ames sold tires.  WHY do you want to rotate your tires?  NO tire manufacturer suggests tire rotation.  Some even suggest AGAINST IT!  Get an alignment.

Yea, a torque stick is the "better way" to tighten lug nuts.  BAD shops just use impact wrenches on cars.  Yea, stupid and cheap.  They don't even use a  torque stick.  Basically, they don't Give A F----- if they are responsible for prematurely warping rotors.  One of the MOST COMMON REASONS for having rotors warp (in *some* cars) is because of uneven torque and the use of torque wrenches to put on lug nuts.  But, what do tire shops care if Your rotors warp prematurely?  

With the above said.  I agree, that VERY FEW tire shops use a torque stick.  I doubt ANY tire shop uses a torque wrench.

Then again, maybe tire shops NEVER change tires on some the most popular cars. An example is fox body Mustangs (up to '93).  Ford Dealers could FIRE a mechanic for not using a torque wrench to put on the front tires on a pre '94 Mustang.  I should know.  My '86 stang was in the dealers A LOT because the brakes/rotors suck so bad.  Every time the mechanic said DO NOT PUT ON THE TIRES WITHOUT A TORQUE WRENCH!  He was talking about winter tire change over.  Rotor warping is Very Common on fox stangs, especially on pre '87 stangs.  (I got rid of those POS brakes a while ago.)

Go to the track and use an impact gun to put on your tires.  Ha, ha, ha. While you're at it, don't forget the BIG stickers and the 20ft spoiler.

Bottom line, tire shops don't give a #### about warping rotors.  Plus, Very Few people would know that it's wrong for their car.  Plus, how do you prove that it was "their fault".  Plus, TRY to prove it and get a settlement in small claim court.  You see, it's DIFFERENT when the DEALER has to pay for part of the repair and is subject to review by the manufacture.  Dealers CARE about things like warping rotors that are covered under warranty.

Welcome to the difference between "what's right" and  what incompetent shops and garages get away with.

I got some cheapo torque wrenches at harbor freight.  I take off the nuts with a *12V* impact wrench (not as abusing to the nuts) and I ALWAYS put on lug nuts with a torque wrench!  ALWAYS!

BTW:  The hub/hat set up for front brakes is less susceptible to warping than the older style rotors that had the bearings in the center of the cast rotor.

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

I have never heard of warped rotors from over-tightening of the lug nuts... I HAVE heard of warped rotors from people hitting the brakes too hard, riding the brakes, etc.

And just because they say not to rotate your tires, it is good general practice to do so, because you keep the wear even on all the tires. Most turns are 51% right hand turns...

<-- rotates tires

berettajeep

Rotating tires

Post by berettajeep »

the rotors will warp when the yahoo tightens them with a air gun in a circle....
always tighten stuff opposite of each other.
Cylinder heads you go from one corner to the other or from the middle out,changing sides...if you just tightened it from left to right it will warp.
(I hope this makes some kind of sense)

<------rotates too.
<------tightens his lug nuts (tee hee) finger tight,then uses his torque wrench to tighten all his lug nuts (tee hee) to 50ft lbs then goes over them to 100ft lbs in a star shape.

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

Tire companies are in the business of selling tires, that probably why they don't want you rotating them.  Tires do develope a speciffic wear pattern for the corner of the car that they are on, but will develop a new pattern fairly quickly.  And yes you can warp rotors by over torqueing your wheels, I'm not anal enough to use a torque wrench but I do put my lugs on by hand.