Permenant High Beams

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
hacknfrack

Permenant High Beams

Post by hacknfrack »

Long story short...

I have a '90 base model and the beige switch inside a white housing attached the the steering column in broken.  This switch controls whether my high beams are activated or not (the long stick from the turn signal switch docks into it).

If it was just broken, that'd be fine, but it's broken "on" so when I turn on my headlights, I have high beams.

What parts do I need to replace the switch, where do I get them from and how do I replace it (or what do I look for in the manuals)?

Thanks.

quad4gtz

Permenant High Beams

Post by quad4gtz »

The switch you refer to is called the headlight dimmer switch. Call your local parts supplier or dealer for it. You are probably right in thinking it is the fault if you haven't tested the circuit. To remove it, you must also remove the ignition switch. It is very similar to the headlight dimmer switch and actually sits on top of it. They both have rods that actuate them.

You may wish to rewire the ciruit up to a two or three way toggle switch. Just make sure it will handle the amperage flow. You can check the rating by finding the circuit breaker for the circuit, it is printed on them usually.

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
rweatherford

Permenant High Beams

Post by rweatherford »

Are you sure it is broken.  Many times you can just reach up there and "adjust" the switch by bending the bracket a little (usually toward the rod) and then they start working again.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

dmysticangel

Permenant High Beams

Post by dmysticangel »

Hey there everyone! ÂÂÂ Was just wonderin about something to do with the high beams. ÂÂÂ Do you have to pull the steeringwheel to fix the high beams? ÂÂÂ I have a 94 z26 3.1 v6 and the high beams don't work. ÂÂÂ Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  ~Kimber~

Jeff P

Permenant High Beams

Post by Jeff P »

Usually if you remove the two upper and two lower steering column bolts to drop the steering column, and let the wheel rest on the seat, that will work.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Cliff8928
Administrator

Permenant High Beams

Post by Cliff8928 »

Yeah, you just have to lower the column down.  It's only held on by 2 nuts.  It's fairly inexpensive too.  Less than $10 usually.

Cliff Scott
dmysticangel

Permenant High Beams

Post by dmysticangel »

what about the air bag?

Jeff P

Permenant High Beams

Post by Jeff P »

If you want to you can pull the airbag fuse and disconnect the airbag connector.  There's no reason for it to go off, but it would be safer.  I always disconnect mine when I mess around under there, but I'm just into the whole safety thing

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
dmysticangel

Permenant High Beams

Post by dmysticangel »

Morning.  Thanks for all your help!  We'll give it a go, and let ya know how it ends up.  Thanks again.  ~Kimber~

gravez69

Permenant High Beams

Post by gravez69 »

I have a 95 beretta that no longer has high beams........................I'd like some help with this too!!  Would it have anything to do with modifying the lights to have dual high beams (this mod is shown on this site!)

Tittymcsprinkle

Re: Permenant High Beams

Post by Tittymcsprinkle »

94 beretta z26 with no high beams!!! And the idiot who put the signal switch in glued it. Any suggestions as to why high beams don't work.