Hood Scoop?

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

I have an idea for a hood scoop, I was just wondering if having all that air be bad or if there is anything I should watch out for

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

If you have a cone filter it might be of some help.  But that is a lot of work.  Especially to make it functional.  As far as the looks go, as long as it is not too dramatic it would probably look good.  If you were to create something like the scoop off of a Camaro SS that would be a good flare without messing up the look of the car.

Chris88CL

Hood Scoop?

Post by Chris88CL »

Im also seriously considering putting a hood scoop on my car.  Nothing massive, just a little 1-2" raised scoop.
Sort of like the one thats on that picture of the red GTZ thats been floating around for a while.  Im not sure if I'd bother making it ram air or just have it there for some extra airflow.  But it cant hurt anything.  Worst case scenario is you dont get anymore power from the cool air but you probably wont go through as many alternators  Im not sure how it would work when it rained tho.   Lumina Z34 hood vents are another option.....atleast they come with a drip tray for the precipitation.Chris
AIM: Chris88CL

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

I think its a great idea but where i live FL we get a lot of rain so i was thinking on putting one just for the looks small one just 1 1/2 inch tall.

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

im thinkin about gettin that hood with the 1 inch raise in the middle and the sides are flat like normal and the scoop is pointed towards the windshield not the other way.  looks kinda cool ill get a pic of it here i wanna make my 4cyl look tough

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

In my opinion, I don't like foward hood scoops on fwd's. The lumina vents are okay, but I prefer cowl induction. I think it looks better, unless you have a 454 under there.

Chris88CL

Hood Scoop?

Post by Chris88CL »

The 454 will come later, but I'll start with the scoop (or vents)  :)Chris

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

Hey that would be pretty raw imagine all that power in a 2600lb car wwoooooo.

MAD MARK

Hood Scoop?

Post by MAD MARK »

And whens the last time you weighed your car?

MAD MARK

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

You could steal and idea from some VW GTI guys:
Put a 300zx scoop above the airbox.  I won't look like a camaro or anything, but I think its the only way a scoop can be effective for air intake on our cars.  Sorta like this:
You" target="_blank">http://freeside.8k.com/cgi-bin/i/images ... oop.JPGYou could also relocate the battery to the rear, then build an airbox to mount in the old battery mount location.  Then you could mount the scoop further to the edge.

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

I have to agree with redline.  I don't like the looks of the forward scoops on fwd cars.  The cowl induction would look killer.  With about a 2 inch raise at the back of the hood.  Then the car would look mean.

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

Hell yeah!

Chris88CL

Hood Scoop?

Post by Chris88CL »

What difference does the drive wheels make on whether or not something looks good?
In my opinion a SMALL forward facing hood scoop looks deadly on the Beretta's sleek bodystyle.Chris

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

I didn't say it doesn't "look" good. I said I don't "like" foward scoops on fwd's. The reason being, most fwd intakes are designed to flow under the grill. Therefore, for the most part, a scoop is purely for looks. To me, foward scoops serve a purpose, while cowl induction is more for looks. This is my opinion.

90BerettaGTZ

Hood Scoop?

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

your opinion is not correct. cowl induction takes advantage of the low air pressure caused by the windshield and hood ect, ect. they are every bit as good as forward mount scoops at lower speed. at higher speeds the fwd mounted scoops have a bit of a ram air thing going on but the cowl one are a little more aerodynamic.