Check out the hot air intake i made

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
6r8ph1X

Post by 6r8ph1X »

i've seen one just like it at Meijer to tell you the truth. The only thing is, the opening is 2.5 ID and my muffler is 2.5 ID     so i have to put in a section of pipe i guess.

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
mustangman70

Post by mustangman70 »

So was mine the muffler was 2 1/2 in/out and the tip was 2 1/2 so i just butted it up and welded it  

This gave it a "sealed" tip which sounds better the one thats just slid over and screwed on...

1989 beretta- 2.8 auto future plans include either a 3800 SC 5 speed swap or an LS1 6 speed RWD conversion....

6r8ph1X

Post by 6r8ph1X »

cool, i'm gona get mine welded soon lol

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

If you really want to smile when going under bridges or passing ricers you should have left the muffler off welded in a length of pipe and then your tip. Mine sounds like a beast, it was louder when it was a side pipe, but after a while I felt like I was going deaf in one ear!  
That IAT sensor is really necessary for the engine to run right. it along with the MAP sensor and ECT determine if you go into closed loop mode and adjusts your spark timing and Fuel injection pulses. I would put it so that it measures what going in the engine, not whats outside. If GM had it there, it was for a good reason.

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
Mr. Beefy

Post by Mr. Beefy »

Damn right. This is teh GT when I got it running again for my wife.

[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums....MG]

She's sitting in my yard now just chilling waiting for her demise. I need to find the source of a fuel leak I started to smell yesterday. If I need parts that's the car it's getting pulled from.

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Hey sousa632, Did you check your fuel tank? Mine had a crack on the top passenger side. It's hard to get one for a 90, I had a new one, but I don't think I'll ever get it back. If you need one I'll see if I can look up where I got it.

keep'em flying!
Mr. Beefy

Post by Mr. Beefy »

I havent had a chance to get out there and really check it out. I think it's coming from one of the steel lines though. I did take a quick glance yesterday and it looked like there was rust on the lines where the hangers are right below the door. If I do need a tank then I will take it off the 90GT I have sitting in my yard. Pleanty of good parts on that car.  

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
mustangman70

Post by mustangman70 »

So im still confused here lol

Should i use the IAT sensor and drill a hole in my intake for it...or just leave it disconnected?

I used to have stalling problems when ideling but they went away now... this may change when summer gets here though....

1989 beretta- 2.8 auto future plans include either a 3800 SC 5 speed swap or an LS1 6 speed RWD conversion....

Mr. Beefy

Post by Mr. Beefy »

The IAT sensor is not sensitive at all. IT's not going to make a difference if you have it in the intake tube or just connected hanging in the engine bay. I would keep it connected and just mount it off to the side somewhere so it isnt going to be picking up more of the engine/exhaust heat

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
mustangman70

Post by mustangman70 »

Cool thanks man

Money pit Beretta

I would still put it in the intake just to be sure that everthing works well. It will work in the bay, it will be more effective it the air flow of the intake and close to the throttle body. It's up to you, that's just what I'd do. Sousa,if you end up having to get a new tank I may now be able to get mine.

keep'em flying!
Mr. Beefy

Post by Mr. Beefy »

Yea it's not the tank..... turns out it's one of the steel lines bendng up going into the engine bay...... time to rip one off of the GT whenever I have time.....

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I disagree, IAT sensors are designed to be in the airflow into the engine, not hanging out in the engine bay. if you do that, your not telling the computer how to deal with a denser or less dense intake air. the car may run, and run decently too, but your efficiency will go down the toilet. this is a quote from my GM advanced engine diagnostic textbook: "the purpose and function of the IAT sensor is to provide the PCM the temperature of the air entering the Engine. The IAT sensor information is used for fuel control and spark timing, depending on the temperature of the incomming air." It goes on to say that it works along with the ECT sensor in determining fuel requirments and spark timing.
so if you put it in a cold place you'll be running the engine rich when it starts, but then the computer will compensate for it later. but this puts the Longterm fuel trim higher than it should be.
I say put it in the air stream.

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
Money pit Beretta

Well this is still off topic, but sousa glad to hear you have what you need and it's not the tank that's bad.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Hey mustangman 70, what did you end up doing with the IAT?

keep'em flying!