Window trim

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Window trim

Post by Guest »

my car must have been outside constantly before i owned it because the rubber outer piece along the bottom side of the drivers and passengers side windows is all cracked apart.  it's not the piece that is about 1.25" thick and goes around both windows, it's the little piece that keeps water/dust etc. from getting down into the door along the window.  have any of you replaced them and if you have how expensive were they?  i asked a GM dealer a few weeks ago and he said $84...A PIECE!!!  for a piece of rubber i see it as being wayyy too expensive, does anybody know where to get it cheaper?

Window trim

Post by Guest »

The rubber does not come separate, it comes with the moulding along the bottom of the glass, and is a DEALER item only. This entire unit is called a belt moulding. Consider yourself lucky that the dealer has them for 84 bucks, the other moulding that goes around the glass is called a scalp moulding, that costs something like $300.00 bucks!!!! It just doesn't figure. Oh well, I guess they have to make up the money somewhere when they lose it to after market fenders, hoods, grilles frt covers etc.  

Window trim

Post by Guest »

wow...300 bucks.  well, since i start working for a local farmer again in march maybe i'll buy them then but until then i for sure don't feel like spending money on them.

90_Black_GTZ

Window trim

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

Check the thread I started about Moulding in this section.  It has the P/Ns you need, as well as mentioning www.gmpartsdirect.com where you can get the pieces for around $50.00 each.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles

Window trim

Post by Guest »

Can you get them from a junkyard? if you find a good set. that is real high to me also!

90_Black_GTZ

Window trim

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

Problem I ran across, is, the yards in my area won't part out doors at all.  If it comes attached to the door, you have to buy the whole door!  So even if I found some nice trim, it would do me very little good.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles

Window trim

Post by Guest »

DANG!!!!!!!!$$$$$$ I was wondering this too, because my window trim is gone!!!! Water just goes through there, is that bad?

Window trim

Post by Guest »

Quote (SpArKy @ Jan. 08 2003,18:45)DANG!!!!!!!!$$$$$$ I was wondering this too, because my window trim is gone!!!! Water just goes through there, is that bad?
i'd think it would be a problem since it looks like the water would settle in the bottom of the door...maybe causing rust eventually.

Window trim

Post by Guest »

Just keep an eye on Ebay since sometimes members are selling them there.

MAJ28

Window trim

Post by MAJ28 »

Yeah this topic came up when I first joined the board, but if you think about it $100 plus shipping to make it look 5 times better and keep the door a lot dryer it's worth it.

Oh and you are far from the only one with this problem... my Indy was garage kept, had 54,000 miles, and father owns a detailing shop and the trim still looked terrible when I got it  (but it's not as bad as some).

-Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚