Wiring question

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
BerettaLove32

Wiring question

Post by BerettaLove32 »

If I were to run a wire from my battery down the middle of the car or even to one side, could I hook other wires up to it in different places. Thats probably confusing! I will have one wire running continous power from the battery. Can I put wires for like neons to it, and then somewhere else on the wire connect an amp fan. Here's a diagram

|Battery|
     Wire-->  |
           |
           |----|Switch|-----Neons
           |
           |
           | ----|Switch|----Amp fan
           |
           |---|Switch|--------Other stuff

Wiring question

Post by Guest »

NO. You would end up over loading the circuit and cooking something

For your amp you will want to run a 10 Guage power feed or better due to power draws it will need a larger gauge wire. Your Neons you can run a 14 or 16 gauge wire off a relay wired circuit (meaning you install the relay and wire it to power up and turn on your neons, as for the other stuff...wire that up as needed. To run alot of stuff  " In series" as it is called is kind of bad unless you are running the same items on the same circuit like 4 neons on the same wire would be fine, but not neons and amps, and then other stuff down the line.

For your amp you can get a junction block, come off the batter positive terminal, or junction block on the middle of the firewall( better choice of the two) and run it to the power side of the amp, then there shoudl be what is called a remote wire that comes from the radio which sends a signal to amp to turn it on., then a good ground and that is wired up.

The neons are simple as well. again run a power feed from the junction block on the center of the firewall to a relay (you can get a wiring kit at any auto parts store for aftermarket exterior lights for about 10$ and it comes with all parts including a relay) and mount the relay close to the other relays, run a ground to the relay, then you will need to run a power feed from the parking lamps to the relay to turn on the relay--not power it. that way when you turn on your parking lamps the neons will come on.

simple actually.:laugh:

BerettaLove32

Wiring question

Post by BerettaLove32 »

I'm not hooking an amp up, just a fan to cool my amp. I just want to have a continous power soucre to run some extra stuff oof of.

Wiring question

Post by Guest »

You could always run a battery cable gauge--like 2 or 4 gauge wire to the middle or rear of the car and put a junction block there to run items off. That would be a good approach. Fairly cheap too just get a battery cable about 80 or so inches long, run it in some loom along the frame and either pipe it into the trunk or into the passenger compartment making sure to put a rubber grommet where you pass it through any metal where it enters the cabin of the car, get a longer battery terminla bolt to attach the second cable, and get a junction  block from either an auto parts store, stereo store, JY etc and you now have a source of power more accessible.

Wiring question

Post by Guest »

yes you can do that. neons and fans dont draw alot of current. i would recommend using no smaller than 10 ga wire though.
other than that, you can parallel several devices off of it and be fine.