Gutted cat?

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Da-Funk

Gutted cat?

Post by Da-Funk »

do u think that you could gut out the catilic converteer and put like a straight pipe in it for inspection purposes do u think thay would notice??

SuzukiGhostRider

Gutted cat?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Yes and no. Yes you can gut ,no they probably won't notice. I don't think your emissions will rise high enough to raise an alert.

Money pit Beretta

Gutted cat?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I'd say yes the would. I went to a small exhaust shop and they put a new one on for only $125. The new one had better flow than the old one and was half the size. I did that so I wouldn't get any crap from cops. I can't tell you how many times that they asked me if I had one on and we don't have inspections in this state.

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Gutted cat?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

I've never met a cop yet who's willing to get his uniform dirty enough to get on his hands and knees and look under a car to see if the Cat is there. And he's not talking replacing the cat WITH straight pipe MPB, he's talking knocking the insides out of it and putting it back in. I would say your only concern would be if you have emissions testing. They might be able to tell with testing that the cat is hollow. We don't have emissions testing here in NM except for the city of Albuquerque.

wicked-irocz

Gutted cat?

Post by wicked-irocz »

most cars will pass like that but the cat offers little restrition in the first place if its the same size as the piping and in good condition.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Z26-T

Gutted cat?

Post by Z26-T »

Just put an aftermarket high flow cat on it. Cops wont bug you, and you will have still have SOME emission assistance .

95' Z26 Beretta- 3400, 282, exhaust. Lots of upgrades still in boxes...
79' Z28 Camaro- Not street legal- 12-1 compression, etc.
S. Comp. Dragster- DEI 350, 600 hp @ 5600, I take it to 7400.
Da-Funk

Gutted cat?

Post by Da-Funk »

well, the enviroment can take one more for the team, what I am saying is can you gut the cat and stick a straight pipe in it to lower the noise and would the inspection guy notice here in canada stuff like that is mandatory like insurence.

P.S. Albuquerque is a funny word

Money pit Beretta

Gutted cat?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Ok, I didn't see that(straight pipe). Yea, you might get away with it. If the guy is a butt and looks at the welds, he may ask why they are there and why the cat looks old. I have to go with what SGR, wicked-irocz and Z26-T all said. I think it would just be best to get a new cat. SGR you are right, the cops have only asked, never have they got down to look. They could give a ticket and tell you to take it to a shop to prove that you have one and it works. Then the ticket would be voided if you did. They are sneaky sometimes.

keep'em flying!
blindmandesigns

Gutted cat?

Post by blindmandesigns »

if it's clogged gut it. oldest trick in the book.  not sure how emissions is where you live but here 96 and older get the gas cap and visual only inspections.  I go to my dads buddies shop that has emissions, they don't even look under the car just under the hood.

Z26-T

Gutted cat?

Post by Z26-T »

Here in utah you haev a visual inspection, gas cap, and dyno emission test... I'm just hoping it will pass with a 3.4 turbo swap with straight pipe . If it doesn't ill try a high flow and go from there..

There are a few guys around here that put a broom stick through the cat, but why weld a pipe inside of the cat? If you're going to gut it, gut it and put it back on, you don't gain anything from putting a pipe in there... Except maybe it being slightly more quiet. But heck, if you want quiet why are you gutting the cat in the first place? It doesnt restrict all that much unless it's old. But if it's the stock cat, just gutting the cat wont help you as much as getting an exhaust put on it.

95' Z26 Beretta- 3400, 282, exhaust. Lots of upgrades still in boxes...
79' Z28 Camaro- Not street legal- 12-1 compression, etc.
S. Comp. Dragster- DEI 350, 600 hp @ 5600, I take it to 7400.
IsaacHayes

Gutted cat?

Post by IsaacHayes »

Here they just pull a random wheel, to check the brakes, then check the parking break, horn, lights, and see if the cat is there and any leaks.

Here you can gut the cat and they won't fail you.

But for best flow putting a pipe through it is best as you don't disturb the velocity that way. Otherwise the gases slow down inside the big cavity of the gutted cat and cause turbulence.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...