A/c removal

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

I've searched the board and read the FAQ and I can't find the information I'm looking for. I'm thinking of removing the A/C from my GTZ and was wondering what I'm going to lose in the process.

The A/C system is shot. Its got a leak somewhere and its still R-12. Unless I want to pay large money for an R-12 recharge, I'll have to get it converted to R-134A and still find the leak. I've never had A/C in any of my cars (that worked anyway) and I could use the room in the engine bay for the custom CAI I'm making. Plus the loss of weight would be a bonus.

The defroster uses the A/C compressor right? If its removed what happens to the defroster? Does it still work? I live in Ontario Canada so I kind of need the defrost from time to time.

bonecrrusher

A/c removal

Post by bonecrrusher »

Ya im having the same dilema. I have a huge crack in my condesor hose that is right under the battery. My compressor is good but will need to be converted and charged. Im thinking about removing all this as well. Im going to assume that the defroster will not work because theres no compressor there to pump the air into the car. heh..

Ask ericm555, he knows and has done this...

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

If your AC dosnt work now there will be no diffrence with the defroster when you pull the AC. I will admit the defroster dosnt work as well without working AC. I dont have a problem though. I dont regret pulling my AC.  

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

Sounds good enough for me. Nice to know others have done this. I'd hate to try and reinstall it later!

Hey ericm555, do you live in a cold climate area?

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

Quote (Shift @ Jan. 12 2003,19:27)Hey ericm555, do you live in a cold climate area?
I live in Milwaukee WI. You need an AC del pulley too. GM part #  22533199.

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

BTW the defroster uses the AC to dry the air.

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a go and remove the a/c system.

What do cars without a/c from the factory do for defrost? Just blow normal air like mine is going to do?

BerettaSS

A/c removal

Post by BerettaSS »

Just for some technical background, the air conditioning system is used for the defogger function rather than the defroster function.  As ericm555 said it is used to dry the air, so that when you have a nice layer of condensation on the inside of your windshield, you can shoot it with dry air which will cause the condensation to evaporate into the dried air.  In the cold climate scenario where you simply need to melt frost, snow, ice, or whatever that forms on your windshield, it will make no difference because you need hot air to melt it, and the dry air will have no benefit.

Hope that made sense.

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

Total sense. TY. I can't remember when the last time my windows actually fogged up, so I'm pulling the system.

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

I have a leak in my car, thats flooding all of my floors, could it be from the AC?   i also have a loud sound that sounds like a chain saw, and the repair shop that doesn't deal with AC told me that its a part on the compressor, that when not in use is making the noise...he told me that they don;t replace the part, that they would have to replace the whole compressor, and that it would be $800 or over to fix....any suggestions?

BerettaSS

A/c removal

Post by BerettaSS »

Quote (plumberetta96 @ Jan. 13 2003,00:39)I have a leak in my car, thats flooding all of my floors, could it be from the AC?   i also have a loud sound that sounds like a chain saw, and the repair shop that doesn't deal with AC told me that its a part on the compressor, that when not in use is making the noise...he told me that they don;t replace the part, that they would have to replace the whole compressor, and that it would be $800 or over to fix....any suggestions?
The flooding could be caused by the A/C, I had an issue with mine that was doing that on the passenger side floor board, it was a pain to fix.

A/c removal

Post by Guest »

O.K., I've pulled everything involved with the A/C out of the engine bay. Except the rad type part in front of the actual rad and the compressor. I should have the A/C delete pully from the dealer in the morning.

What a difference in the engine bay! Its going to be a lot easier making a CAI with all that removed.