5 speed trans

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
berettajeep

5 speed trans

Post by berettajeep »

hello,I need to replace the trans in me car(1st gear syncro is shot) the local yard only has 4 cylinder 5 speeds.I have the mighty 2.8.
 My Question is can I get a 5 speed from a 4 cylinder and use it in my car? Are there differences between them internally?
I think they are the same,but I am not positive and dont want to throw away $300 on the wrong one....
Any help will be appreciated

beretta is gone. -sigh-
Kevskate99

5 speed trans

Post by Kevskate99 »

No, The 4 cyl should have the Isuzu 5spd and the 6cyl should have the Getrag. In this case the 4cyl 5spd can't withstand the power of the 6 cyl engine, not to mention the bolt pattern most likely will not work to mix them.

berettajeep

5 speed trans

Post by berettajeep »

Quote (Kevskate99 @ Jan. 10 2003,21:44)can't withstand the power of the 6 cyl engine
I'm sorry,you must have my car confused with someone elses

Thanks for info,looks like I search somewhere else now

beretta is gone. -sigh-

5 speed trans

Post by Guest »

all four bangers had the isuzu, the 3.1's and 2.8's had muncies, and the quad's had getrag's as far as i know. i have heard that people have put isuzus on 3.1's and have held up well. i wouldnt try it though.
QuasarCorsica

chevythunder

5 speed trans

Post by chevythunder »

The Cavaliers had the same motor that is what I got my tranny out of .See if the yard has any of them
The only thing the yard asked was if it was a gear driven or magnetic speed sensor .
Hope this helps

Chazzman

5 speed trans

Post by Chazzman »

To add to the confusion, I'm using a '90 Grand Prix 5spd in my base. I think it's a getrag? ;)

'92 GT-Z 3.1L 5spd lot's of GO FAST stuff