Hood Scoop?

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

How can you tell someone their opinion is incorrect?

MAD MARK

Hood Scoop?

Post by MAD MARK »

Redline you did say that cowl induction is for looks and forward scoops are for purpose. That was your opinion and it is wrong. They both serve purpose and work almost to the same extent.

MAD MARK

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

I would buy a cowl induction hood for looks. Therefore my opinion is correct, unless you are a nazi

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

I was figuring on putting at least a 3 inch high scoop on then making a air box that will latch into the hood scoop find a drop in k n air filter to fit in the air box  putting a 45 degree abs pipe on the throttle body and running it directly into the air box its just a rough idea right now but im still working on the plans

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

That would get a ram air thing going on. I have a similar idea but I won't attempt it until I'm done with this car. It would make the car ugly if you ask me plus it won't help too much unless you get it perfect. I seen a Saturn with the setup you are thinking about. it worked good for the Saturn but she had it done professionally. She used a front facing scoop that went into the hood so it didn't actually stick up it was into the hood then put the air box with the top off and a drop in into the scoop.(Edited by BlueBeretta at 1:13 pm on Sep. 7, 2001)

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

My dream hood - Cowl style, 3" rise in rear
Negative pressure air vent near front of hood
Lumina style vents located symmetrically near the rear of the hood - One over the alternator, and one in the position opposite it.You'd get several effects with this - The negative pressure vent would help the radiator cool more effectively.  The cowl would help pull out hot air near the rear exhaust manifold and downpipe and such.  And the lumina vents would help keep the area around the alternators and the master cylinder well ventilated.Not only that, but it'd look badass as well.  :-)

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

That could be done. I think it could at least. You might have to get a 2"- 4" rise but that wouldn't kill you would it?(Edited by BlueBeretta at 5:31 pm on Sep. 7, 2001)

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

Well, if i was gonna do a hood like this, i'd start from scratch - Get it custom made, either reinforced fiberglass or carbon fibre.But if I had to take a stock hood and modify it, I'd probably just buy a cowl piece and the vents and get them mated to my current hood.  I've heard too many bad things about the US Body source hood to go that route.

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

Would that help alot? I mean would it be worth it to get the vents and cowl piece then have them put on?

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

Define "worth."  You'll lower your engine bay temperature, help cool your alternator, help cool your entire coolant system, and it'll look f*cking SICK.  I think it's worth it.

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

I agree. I mean those vents are not too expensive and the cowl piece shouldn't be too much either right. By worth I mean &#36&#36&#36&#36.(Edited by BlueBeretta at 7:35 pm on Sep. 7, 2001)

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

http://www.berettastuff.com/members/mem ... ndex.shtml

This is the hood scoop I was talking about here. I don't like the looks but I've seen one get some really good ram air. The women with the Saturn has that scoop with a K&N drop in filter charger that fits right into the opening. Perfect ram air setup if you ask me. She trailers her car though so for a daily driver I don't recommend it.

Quote:
That would get a ram air thing going on. I have a similar idea but I won't attempt it until I'm done with this car. It would make the car ugly if you ask me plus it won't help too much unless you get it perfect. I seen a Saturn with the setup you are thinking about. it worked good for the Saturn but she had it done professionally. She used a front facing scoop that went into the hood so it didn't actually stick up it was into the hood then put the air box with the top off and a drop in into the scoop.

I like that red car but the cowl might be a bit much. I still think it looks good though.

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

The red car has a cowl, not a scoop.

Hood Scoop?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for correcting me. I knew that though. I just didn't know it then.