92 3.1 CAI

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
weba

92 3.1 CAI

Post by weba »

Since in 92 cars, vacuum canister and windshield washer fluid tank is on the way, there's no way to fit the cone filter inside the bumper\behind the driving light.
(Okay, if you use one of those really tiny ones, maybe...)

Anyhow, i got around the issue, by mounting the cone filter (Apexi in my case) in front of the radiator like on my GTZ too, i used 3" hose to get it there.. went the easy way this time, could be also done with 2.5" or 2.75" pipe, but since this is not a performance-build car.....yet  

Oh and it sounds a bit meaner than under the hood on WAI.

I fill up for $130. Also Beretta owner since 2004
n00b20

92 3.1 CAI

Post by n00b20 »

(weba @ May 13 2008,14:19)QUOTE

Since in 92 cars, vacuum canister and windshield washer fluid tank is on the way, there's no way to fit the cone filter inside the bumper\behind the driving light.
(Okay, if you use one of those really tiny ones, maybe...)
then how did i fit a bigger k&n filter in my with my tranzgenic?  

"We were ALL noobs once. Forget where you came from and you forget how valuable your knowledge is to those who are now where you once were."
weba

92 3.1 CAI

Post by weba »

I have no idea, you could share a pic of your installation  

n00b20

92 3.1 CAI

Post by n00b20 »

this is the only one i have right now but i suppose i could go snap a few more if you would like.  

"We were ALL noobs once. Forget where you came from and you forget how valuable your knowledge is to those who are now where you once were."
Money pit Beretta

92 3.1 CAI

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Still love that photo, I think weba was talking about the K&N mounted in place. That would be a hard shot to get. I also had a bigger K&N on the same intake as n00b20 has, it was a pain to get in and out. I would bet that mine was bigger than n00b20's(it had two filters in one). That's just FYI, not trying to say anything bad about your intake weba. I now have a 3100(had a 3.1), so now I may have to make my own.

keep'em flying!
n00b20

92 3.1 CAI

Post by n00b20 »

heres the best i could get..

weba

92 3.1 CAI

Post by weba »

That filter is smaller than the one i have, that seems to be 'longer' so it fits there, while mine is Wider :\

n00b20

92 3.1 CAI

Post by n00b20 »

yea that might be it, the one that came with the tranzgenic barely fit in there and this one is alot bigger than it looked at the shop. but i also had to cut a little bit off a couple of the pipes to shorten the length a little.

Money pit Beretta

92 3.1 CAI

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Man, I should have cut mine. I had to bend the horn back for the pipe so the filter would fit in that small space. Hey weba, that pipe should be covered to block the heat(it may dry out and crack). I used some wide reflective(tin foil looking) tape on my homemade intake(before I got the Tranzgenic)it was for heater ducts in the house(used nylon ties to hold it on). My Physics friend told me that you can reflect heat like light. That's why most intakes are shiny.

keep'em flying!
michi

92 3.1 CAI

Post by michi »

Man i want a CAI too on my 3.1

AND on my quad ^^

speedygtz

92 3.1 CAI

Post by speedygtz »

does going through all the trouble of sticking it down there really help? i mean, i understand the point but once the air gets into the motor it gets warmed up anyways... and to top it off, the air needs to travel through all that hosing before it gets to the motor, idk, just my o2.

the z26 is on the road!
weba

92 3.1 CAI

Post by weba »

(speedygtz @ May 19 2008,21:29)QUOTEdoes going through all the trouble of sticking it down there really help? i mean, i understand the point but once the air gets into the motor it gets warmed up anyways... and to top it off, the air needs to travel through all that hosing before it gets to the motor, idk, just my o2.
When i had this acting as WAI, after some driving the engine and the filter and the intake pipes were so hot that those could be barely touched, Now the intake pipe stays pretty chill (air always moving inside it to cool it down), and filter is the same temperature as outside air temperature.. so i'm pretty sure it helps