I think she's a knocking

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

I think my engine in my 92 3.1 GT is on its way out.  When I start it up in the morning I hear a knocking sound from the front valve cover.  After a couple of minutes it goes away.  When The car is totaly warmed up, I think I can hear a very soft knock from the oil pan.  I hear nothing from the top end.  Its still getting 28-30 MPG.  The engine I have now came out of a wrecked grand prix with 70,000 miles on it.  It now has around 85-95 grand on the engine.  I have also changed the oil every 2500 miles.  Should I start saving my pennys for this summer for a rebuild?  If I have to rebuild I will do it myself.  I have helped redo two chevy v8 engines.  I also have access to a shop with a cherry picker, engine stands, etc.  Thanks

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

I know this may sound stupid and you may have already tried it but maybe use a fuel system cleaner like STP or something.  Change the fuel filter.  And try using a higher grade, and better quality gasoline such as BP or something like that.  Just my 2 pennys.

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

Yes, I have tried that.  I'v put some stp complete fuel system cleaner in it.  I have also used 93 octane fuel.  The same thing happens in the morning.  I'm going to get a hold of a compression guage when it gets warmer.  I also replaced the fuel filter about 5 months ago.

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

I had a similar noise on my 88 2.8 Cav, and an amigo I work with diagnosed it as a lifter trying to die.  Remembering what my grandfather told me, I added 1/2qt of auto tranny fluid, ran it for 500 miles, and changed the oil.  In this case, it fixed the noise.  ATF is a high-detergent oil, so that helped open up a clogged oil passage on the lifter.

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

so let me get this straight, add 1/2 qt of ATF to my oil? then change it after 500 miles?

CKr

I think she's a knocking

Post by CKr »

Dan92GT,
My car also has a slight knock when I start it cold, but Im in upper PA so its about 15* here.  Im not sure where your located, if its cold there or not.  My engine has 196,000 Miles on it, so thats probably my problem  In my opinion I dont think its much to worry about, but Im no expert so dont quote me.

quad4z26,
I would like some more information on this ATF thing, maby my engine could use this, but for some reason, putting ATF in my oil doesnt sound like a good idea

Regards,
Cory

Cory
------
96 BRM Z26, 98 Estoril Blue BMW M3

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

Quote (WannaBeGTZ @ Dec. 31 2001,10:36)so let me get this straight, add 1/2 qt of ATF to my oil? then change it after 500 miles?
Exactly... that simple.

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

sweet. I'll try it out tomorrow morning.  Are you running a synthetic oil or a natural one?  I plan on running synthetic when the time comes.

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

marvel mystery oil does the same thing.

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

Quote (WannaBeGTZ @ Jan. 01 2002,3:23)Are you running a synthetic oil or a natural one?
The engine that I was using the ATF trick in has run on all conventional oil.... 167k on her .

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

the knocking in the mornin could be a piston also.  some times a motor when it wears, the bore wears, and when it is cold, the piston will knock around.  but when it warms up, the piston expands to fit the bore better.
in this case, you must rebuild to fix it

Rob

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

I will try the marvel mystery oil trick.  If that doesn't work I will replace the lifters in the spring when I have some money, time, and warmer weather.  Thanks
~Daniel Fields

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

I tried the tranny fluid trick and it seems to have helped a bit. no tcompletly gone, but it is better. should i add more?

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

If you added 1/2 quart, I wouldn't add anymore unless you were to change the oil first.

I think she's a knocking

Post by Guest »

Quote (WannaBeGTZ @ Jan. 04 2002,12:48)I tried the tranny fluid trick and it seems to have helped a bit. no tcompletly gone, but it is better. should i add more?
No, just keep running it until the 500 miles is up.  It's not an instant thing, because the detergents in the oil take a little time to work.