Transmissions

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Transmissions

Post by Guest »

Can someone please explain what can and will go wrong when your taking out the transmission. I have a couple of 3-speed autos that need to come out of my cars. I have never done anything with a tranny so I'm kinda lost at this point. Tips would be nice.

Transmissions

Post by Guest »

make sure you buy a tranny jack, and do it one a concrete surface. that will make life so much easier.
also, do yourself a favor and get some masking take and a sharpie, then use it to label every electrical connector and hose you take off. that way there are no questions upon reassymble.  
also, you will have to remove the tierods one each side, buy the tierod removal tool, it looks like a fork, otherwise you will probably damage the grease fitting.

buy about 4 1 foot extensions, because there are a few bolts that you will need to come in from the passenger side tire well and go all of the way across the bay to the tranny behind the motor. those suck.
also buy impact wrench sockets, they have thicker sidewalls and wont break as easy as your standard socket.  those tranny to engine bolts are on there with the wrath of god.
drain all fluid from the tranny before you start, because when you pull the driveshalfs out, tranny fluid can exit there. also, the touque converter will leak fluid out if held wrong.  

plan on this taking a while!

Transmissions

Post by Guest »

Concrete definitely makes life easier.  Also A GOOD! set of Jackstands.  As far as the tranny jack I usually rent one... $20 bucks a day here.  They make connector marking that come in a pack pre-numbered, there are two peices of each-one for harness and one for receptacle.  You can also get a tranny plate for a regular floor jack, or My method....I welded a piece of pipe (whatever will fit the saddle of the jack) to a 1/4 inchpeice of steel about 12x12.  Drill holes on corners and use a chain to secure tranny.  I know on a Cavy you have to pull a good bit of the driver side suspension off..I dont know about others...  The BEST advice I can give though is to get a HAYNES or CHILTONS manual and read it throughly!!!  Especially if youve not done anything "major" before.......TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
Hope this helps