Leaking Sunroof?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
industrialstrength

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by industrialstrength »

My Beretta has been sitting in my parents garage for 2 years now and I'd like to get it up and running.

I noticed my sun visors look warped from possible water damage so I think I may have a leaking sunroof. Also when I shut the car doors I can see the sunroof pop up out of the roof.

What steps do I need to take to get this sunroof fixed and in  good shape?

I have yet to check the drain holes for clogs, and I'm wondering where do the drains lead to?

91 GTZ Q4

Money pit Beretta

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Hey, I just try some new weatherstrip first. I'm not sure at this time where to get it. Mine doesn't leak that I know of(it has also been inside for some time because of a leak in the cowl panel). When I shut the door it pops up too, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. The drains are on the floor pan and drop the water to the street. You will have to peel everthing back to see if there is any rust.

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

I would look more at your upper windshield trim if your visors are getting soaked.

misspriss

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by misspriss »

I am starting to hate my sunroof too.  I've tried everything and the darn thing still leaks. You have to push it forward to get it to shut tight and if the wind blows it still leaks.  I have no idea what is going on.  Now I am going to have to replace the carpet because i didn't even know it was leaking until i put my step daughter in the backseat like a month ago and I've had the car since May.  Any ideas wold be helpful.  I've replaced the weatherstripping.

girls like fast cars too!!
Money pit Beretta

Leaking Sunroof?

Misspriss,is the lock down loose? With it locked down can you push up on it and see if the glass moves? Sorry, that's all that I can think of right now.

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by Cliff8928 »

Make sure the drains are clear! That's the first thing to do.

Cliff Scott
misspriss

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by misspriss »

yeah it does move u can see out at the edge i u push up on it.  how would i go about fixing that.  I have to say thanks to all you guys you've been so much help with this thing.

Money pit Beretta

Leaking Sunroof?

How to fix it I'm not sure, I would think that a new lock down would do it(where to get one that's the main thing). Where did you get the new weatherstrip? Was it more or less the same size as the old one(should be bigger)? I now have a Beretta with a sun roof, so this may also help me sometime. It's going to sound strange but, thanks for the post on this.

keep'em flying!
lolwut

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by lolwut »

You can pop out the sunroof glass if you pull the handle down like you're going to open it, and then press on the two little hinges that connect the handle to the base.  That'll let you pull out the glass.

Blow the drains out first of all.  I was amazed at how much crap came out of mine.
Make sure the handle and the metal tabs are tightened down.  Even with the handle a little loose I would get waterfalls from it whenever I first moved the car after it rained (and sometimes during). ÂÂÂ I ended up having to replace one of the metal tabs because it was really messed up, as well.
Check the gasket to make sure it's still in good shape and check the channel around the gasket for debris.  Blow the channel out too while you're clearing out the drains.

I had a problem with the plastic pieces that the metal tabs go into, too- they wouldn't tighten down enough, so when the drains backed up those things leaked a LOT.  They were part of the reason I had to ditch my headliner (the board was moldy and flaky because the leak had soaked it so many times).  If you're willing to take out the headliner definitely check those out.

-Alan
misspriss

Leaking Sunroof?

Post by misspriss »

my friend that owns a glass co did the weatherstripping so i'm not sure on the size i just dropped the car and asked him to do it.  I'll have to try what u said lolwut brother out with car so when he gets home i guess it's time to pull out the air compressor.

Money pit Beretta

Leaking Sunroof?

Please post when find out what it is.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Leaking Sunroof?

Old topic I know. I need to find some new weatherstrip for my sunroof now. The thing is starting to rattle and it making me crazy. The strip looks like the door seal(is this true?),if so I may be able to hack and slash a new door seal. I have checked many places online and can't find the sunroof strip. The GM # is 10093158.

keep'em flying!