1994 z26 int lighting woes

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

Ok I bought a new headliner for my  Z26, and I needed to install it of
course. To do that I had to pull the light fixture down. Well in the midst
of popping it out, I connected the contacts. Anyways. Now I have no int
lights.
I checked the fuses, and they appear to all be good. The only one I see that has courtesy lamps, or int lamps also says cruise, radio etc.

Radio works fine, as does the cruise....

Can anyone tell me were a fuse would be hidden on this car for the $$$$ int
lights? I'd love to be able to see what I'm doing when it's dark out.....

Also my Cluster lights up as does the center console, just my dome light,
map lights, and floor lights do not light up.....

Maybe my HighBeam bulb is also connected, as I installed a new bulb for it since it blew out a long time ago, and it isn't very bright.....

Post by Guest »

Hey i have got the exact same problem!!!!!  only mine has been going on for about a year now!!!! F***. it pisses me off!  I posted a message a long time back with absolulty no solution. so if you figgure out what it is could you PLEASE let me know!!.  here is the list of the lights that dont work:  The dome light, the 2 floor lights, the trunk light and the lights on the rear virw mirror...  all went out at the same time.  ÂÂÂ
i had the 2 rear view mirror lights on one night when i was at the side of the road. they were on for about 5 minuites than all of the sudden they went out and none of them have ever gone on scince!
just like you the dash lights and center console lights work fine.
anyway. any sugestions from anyone would be great! and if anyone else has the same problem than post!
mabey its a common thing?!

Post by Guest »

hey i just thought of something after i posted that. my lights had a feature that after 10 or 20 minuites or so they would go off. (to save the battery)  and it turn them back on you had to turn the ignision on and back off again and they would work..
mabey that little device that turns them off it broken?  does anyone know anything about it?
i dunno its been so long scince ive had lights i cant remeber much about them LOL:p

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

If your lucky you only blew Fuse 11 on the panel and it also affected your ABS.   You may have fried your "module".  In 1994 this box is tan p/n 16231489, later were blue and pink.  These are $75 at GM.   If your lighter does not work nor trunk release Fuse 6 is the culprit.

Also when you pull the 93 up style dome lights use a interior trim tool...they are extremely fragile.  

I sell all parts mentioned, sometimes even on ebay.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
feelgood7777

Post by feelgood7777 »

About a year ago I had this same problem, I took out the "convienence box" that turns the lights off after 10 minutes, its pink under the sterring column.  Now i opened that up and inside were some more small fuses, in there I blew a fuse, all I did was change the fuse and everything works fine now.  The only problem is that the fuses are a pain to find, they're "special" wierd ratings and all.

1994 Adriatic Blue Z26

Mods:  GTS Solar Wing, GTS Headlight Covers, DEI 600 Amp, Infinity Kappa 4X6's & 6X9's, Viper Car Alarm, Lunar Lights, Infinity Reference 12"

Tranny # 2

Post by Guest »

I have basiclly the same problem except with my problem the lights that are running when i turn on the headlights like the instument panel guages the ac controls shift plate etc... dont work I was thinking it may be my headlight switch is that possible? If you have any idea what it may be let me know...

Post by Guest »

Quote If your lucky you only blew Fuse 11 on the panel and it also affected your ABS.   You may have fried your "module".  In 1994 this box is tan p/n 16231489, later were blue and pink.  These are $75 at GM.   If your lighter does not work nor trunk release Fuse 6 is the culprit.

As I already stated. I have checked all fuses, and they are all FINE. Besides that the trunk light hasn't worked since I got the car, and the cigarette lighter is rusted and not connected.

feelgood7777 were is this magical box you speak of? Please tell me directions.

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

The headlight switch is bypassed in this sytem, door allow the turning on the lights.   The Pink, Tan,  controls this.   There are no fuses in the Tan, and I don't have a pink one handy.   Did you blow a resistor?  I am not even sure if color means anthing(though i see pink in late 95's to 96's), the box is there to isolate the board.     I have fixed several cars by swapping this part out, I am now curious about these fuses.

Post by Guest »

Quote (Travelor @ Feb. 05 2003,18:03)Ok I bought a new headliner for my  Z26, and I needed to install it of
course. To do that I had to pull the light fixture down. Well in the midst
of popping it out, I connected the contacts. Anyways. Now I have no int
lights.
I checked the fuses, and they appear to all be good. The only one I see that has courtesy lamps, or int lamps also says cruise, radio etc.

Radio works fine, as does the cruise....

Can anyone tell me were a fuse would be hidden on this car for the $$$$ int
lights? I'd love to be able to see what I'm doing when it's dark out.....

Also my Cluster lights up as does the center console, just my dome light,
map lights, and floor lights do not light up.....

Maybe my HighBeam bulb is also connected, as I installed a new bulb for it since it blew out a long time ago, and it isn't very bright.....
LOL, you sure are in the dark Brother!!! I say it could be the body module.

feelgood7777

Post by feelgood7777 »

Ok well as i said my 94 had a pink box with two sets of wires going in. When i opened it up there were about 5-7 small fuses and i noticed that one or two were fried.

1994 Adriatic Blue Z26

Mods:  GTS Solar Wing, GTS Headlight Covers, DEI 600 Amp, Infinity Kappa 4X6's & 6X9's, Viper Car Alarm, Lunar Lights, Infinity Reference 12"

Tranny # 2

Post by Guest »

But where is this box? WHERE?? Is it in the trunk? under the seat, or glued to the intake? ;)

Seriously, were should I start looking for a pink box (there is a PINK box in my car, lol) under the drivers side, steering column?

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

take drivers side panels off its under the dash and steering column in the interior. Its about 4" x 7" abpit  1.25" thick.  Its going to be pink or tan.

The bracket and 2 relays are screw to the dash...it will be hanging off the dash itself not the firewall.

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

Quote (feelgood7777 @ Feb. 06 2003,20:21)Ok well as i said my 94 had a pink box with two sets of wires going in. When i opened it up there were about 5-7 small fuses and i noticed that one or two were fried.
were these "fuses" soldered in?

feelgood7777

Post by feelgood7777 »

Quote (ErichZ26 @ Feb. 06 2003,22:17)Quote (feelgood7777 @ Feb. 06 2003,20:21)Ok well as i said my 94 had a pink box with two sets of wires going in. When i opened it up there were about 5-7 small fuses and i noticed that one or two were fried.
were these "fuses" soldered in?
Travelor - I said it was under the sterring column but I might have been a little vauge, but as erich said take the panels off under the stering column and it should be right there.  Erich if i remember correctly yes they were soldered in, i think there was a grouping of 2 in one spot and 3 in another, but don't quote me on that.

1994 Adriatic Blue Z26

Tranny # 2
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

those are resistors. ÂÂÂ thats cool you were able to replace.   Now to get the resistor value by matching the rings by color etc.  Radio Shack might have them.