Common z26 problems

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
MAJ28

Common z26 problems

Post by MAJ28 »

(I wasn't sure if this belonged in GD or not....  it does deal with car problems so...)

Today I was looking at the local Motormart magazine and I came across a '95 Black Z26 for $4,500 with a 3 month warranty.  Before I call and ask about the car, what kind of questions do you think I should ask?  Here's what I've got so far, just by common sense:

Mileage?
GFX condition?
Accidents?
Door panels?

Are there any other common problems with Z's or the 3100 in general that I should beware of?  Off the top of my head this is all I could really think of...  and since I have a 3.1 I wouldn't know.

Thanks bunches guys,
-Jason  

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
Canada

Common z26 problems

Post by Canada »

If the car is close, go look at it and take it for a drive.

-Lower intake manifold gasket.....common 3100 problem....every 80,000 miles or so they need to be replaced.....its a labor intensive repair..

-Double check alingment....it should go straight down the road....

-If silver lines appear inbetween the numbers on the odometer....its been messed with.

Just go drive it, go through traffic.....open road.....everything.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
CKr

Common z26 problems

Post by CKr »

IIRC the trannies in those cars seem to go some where around 100,000 miles.  Although I'm not 100% sure on that.  Other than that and what Canada said that's probably it. ÂÂÂ

Jason, how are you going to buy that car when you don't even have enough to fix yours? :rock:

Cory
------
96 BRM Z26, 98 Estoril Blue BMW M3

Common z26 problems

Post by Guest »

check for a repaint. Look under the hood and see if theres overspray, stickers missing, misaligned body parts. My front nose had been repainted under warranty by the dealer and they left out some of the stickers. And oversprayed on the hood bumpers. Alot of the Z's we had looked at, before we purchased ours was that they were repainted in the front.
Doesnt mean the were damaged, just something to look into.:)

feelgood7777

Common z26 problems

Post by feelgood7777 »

Well the only problem I had with this car is egr being dirty -fixed that.
New halfshafts just yesterday, the normal stuff,  brakes and all that.
I have had no other problems such as lower intake gasket or a bad tranny, and they never been repaired that i know of and this car has 120k on it Just don't hammer on the thing all the time and you'll be fine.

1994 Adriatic Blue Z26

Mods:  GTS Solar Wing, GTS Headlight Covers, DEI 600 Amp, Infinity Kappa 4X6's & 6X9's, Viper Car Alarm, Lunar Lights, Infinity Reference 12"

Tranny # 2
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Common z26 problems

Post by heavywoody »

Quote (CKr @ Feb. 15 2003,21:40)IIRC the trannies in those cars seem to go some where around 100,000 miles.  Although I'm not 100% sure on that.  Other than that and what Canada said that's probably it.
Incorrect... I know several people, including myself, that have well over 100K on their original tranny. Mine has 122,122 to date, and zero problems... anyone wanna buy it?

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
MAJ28

Common z26 problems

Post by MAJ28 »

good... it's a nice coincidence that someone asked me to check out a Z in my area for them right as I started this topic, knowledge put to use- NICE!

-Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
zach82

Common z26 problems

Post by zach82 »

I've got 110,000 on mine and the trans is starting to act up... water pump just went out as well.  The belt tensioner broke at around 105,000, and my stabilizer links went out a couple years back

Other than that the only things I've had to replace are brake pads, shocks, etc.  It's been a pretty reliable vehicle.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net

Common z26 problems

Post by Guest »

Things i would check:
-both oil and tranny fluid when its cold, then after you drive it
-look at engine to see if it has been steam cleaned, if so ask why, and what they are hiding
-if underside has fresh undercoating, ask what they are trying to hide (rust + undercoating = bad stuff after a few months)
-rust in either door jam
-see if the carpets are wet for "the leak"

I would also pay attention to the lower intake manifold gasket, how the tranny shifts, make sure the steering is tight when you test drive it.  Cosmetically i would of course check all the gfx especially the front air dam.  See if it smiles at you or not.  Good luck!

88GTRacer

Common z26 problems

Post by 88GTRacer »

Quote (95Z26 @ Feb. 16 2003,22:48)Things i would check:
-both oil and tranny fluid when its cold, then after you drive it
Actually, you check the oil when it's and on a level surface.  If it has been warmed up wait 15 mintutes to check it.  The transmission fluid should be checked until it has reached normal operating temperatures, and while the engine is running in either park or neutral.

I would ask for any service records or repair invoices. ÂÂÂ Pretty much check to make sure the maintenance hasn't been neglected on the car.  88GTRacer

"It is one of the most beautiful shapes on the road. Aero, alluring and very aggressive.
It is a Beretta, the new performance coupe from Chevrolet."

Common z26 problems

Post by Guest »

Quote Just don't hammer on the thing all the time and you'll be fine

Well then my car will die soon

I like to put the hammer down, feel that granny tranny propel me forward.... or backwards which ever...

Common z26 problems

Post by Guest »

I know they like to throw lower control arm busings about 100,000 miles.  I just helped girl, that is a friend of mine replace hers in her z26.

Common z26 problems

Post by Guest »

i dont agree with the tranny issue, my car has 133k miles on it, tranny untoched and is perfect, still has the original water pump too, although i agree on the lower intake gaskets, i had to have mine done, that and a new alternator and belt, sway bar bushings, and the lower control arms (common) that's about it

zach82

Common z26 problems

Post by zach82 »

Quote (heavywoody @ Feb. 16 2003,08:10)Incorrect... I know several people, including myself, that have well over 100K on their original tranny. Mine has 122,122 to date, and zero problems... anyone wanna buy it?
How much do you want for that 4t60-E?

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net
Canada

Common z26 problems

Post by Canada »

Is it a 2.93 or a 2.97 4T60-E?

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta