My first AutoX!

Need some setup advice, have some stories? For organized racing stories only! No street racing here!
heavywoody
Global Moderator

My first AutoX!

Post by heavywoody »

I competed in my first Autox today! Central Carolina's Region SCCA points race first race of the season was today, and it was great! I DNF'd on my first run because I got mixed up on the second slalom on the course, but figured out what I did and ended up running a 108.7 on my second run, and then a 104.2 on my last run. I was kinda bummed that we only got 3 runs (the 1st group out got 4, and then the event coordinators changed it to 3 runs since there were over 150 drivers at the event). I was unfortunately in the 3rd run. If I hadn't DNF'd, I would have finished higher than 9th... here's the list of times. It looks like I'm in shooting distance of some of the top times; http://www.ccrscca.com/results/2009solo/ccrax1_fin.htm Scroll down to Novice

I was in DSP, novice class.

I learned alot about how the car handles in this sort of event, and learned that I can definitely push it harder than I did; I didn't hear the tires squeal at all... barely broke the back end out a couple times on my last run. I need to play with my tire pressures more too... I could use a couple more lbs up front, and a couple less out back (they had 38psi all around).

Next race is March 14/15th (14th is for Novice drivers, which I'll be attending since this is my first season).

List of cars I lost to:
BMW M3's
Mazdaspeed 3
BMW 330i's
RX7
96 Z28
Integra

List of cars I beat:
Civic
Jetta
Miata
Altima
STi!!!
Forester
Elise (A Lotus lost to a Beretta? What's wrong with this picture?)
S2000
Fiat X19
BMW M3
99 Camaro SS
Del Sol
Regal

Pics are uploading now; Boner took pictures. http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/ ... oX%202009/

My personal favorite (if this isn't showing up right now, wait a tick as the pictures are still uploading):

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
DTMAce

My first AutoX!

Post by DTMAce »

Cool!!   Of course you do realize we do have some pretty nice road handling cars here right?  LOL  I always loved the way these things cornered...  

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Cliff8928
Administrator

My first AutoX!

Post by Cliff8928 »

Wow! 104 seconds is a HUGE course!

3 runs is teh sux too..

How'd those brakes do?

Cliff Scott
heavywoody
Global Moderator

My first AutoX!

Post by heavywoody »

DTM, I've known for a while how well these cars handle... Even stock... I've had my suspension setup for several years now, but just now got to actually see how the car really reacted to them  

It was a big course... here's a rough sketch...

The brakes worked excellent! No fading, great stopping when I needed it... fantastic!

However, I am having one issue with the brakes... when I turn the wheel full lock, the vacuum disappears from the brakes and I have to pump them up to get them to work.  

Geoff
Money pit Beretta

My first AutoX!

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I bet there was some people scratching their heads after that! What is NDSP?

keep'em flying!
heavywoody
Global Moderator

My first AutoX!

Post by heavywoody »

Novice, DSP (Street Prepared). I decided to race Novice this season since it's my first time, and I'll be able to get more pointers from instructors that way too.  I'm dangerously close to Street Mod, which will definitely have more powerful cars there... if I go with a cam and headers like I'm wanting to, I'll be in SM.

Geoff
Money pit Beretta

My first AutoX!

Thanks for the info.
I guess they didn't care about the engine swap? What cam and headers are you thinking about getting?

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

My first AutoX!

Post by DTMAce »

Have to admit that would be a blast!   Too bad not much of that goes on around here...  

I miss Ohio for one thing.  The roads were FUN to drive on!  There are roads there that LOOK like that map you put up... LOL

Ah well.  Yeah my car as it sits would not keep up with you, handling or engine wise.  If I was going to do stuff like that I would most likely buy one and build it for this purpose.  Who knows, maybe someday.  

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Cliff8928
Administrator

My first AutoX!

Post by Cliff8928 »

(Money pit Beretta @ Feb. 23 2009,21:41)QUOTEThanks for the info.
I guess they didn't care about the engine swap? What cam and headers are you thinking about getting?
some engine swaps fall under SP class.  It's the cam that will get ya into SM, or adding boost.

Actually, I do believe the brake upgrade should've put it into SM.  Unless they have different rules?

Cliff Scott
heavywoody
Global Moderator

My first AutoX!

Post by heavywoody »

Different regions follow rules differently. There was a DIY classification I did, which is what put me into SP.

I haven't even looked into cam profiles yet, but I know it will be from WOTech. Headers will be modiified S&S ones from a N-body.

Geoff
3X00-Modified
Administrator

My first AutoX!

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Go with a 1280 cam, 222whp in a malibu  ;)  just imagine on a 5-speed.

Also the brake issue... Are you sure your not kinking the left side hose or over extending the right side one??  I would really look into that if I were you since loosing VAC on a turn to lock is unrelated...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

My first AutoX!

When you were on the track how low did you get in RPM? I was just thinking about low end TQ with the 1280 cam in the autoX. Your thoughts on this would help me on finding a good all around street cam.

keep'em flying!
wicked-irocz

My first AutoX!

Post by wicked-irocz »

I tend to run 42-45 up front and 35-38 in the rear.

Nice to see you getting it out geoff. Very nice beating an sti.

If you plan to do it often bumping the front camber up to about -2* will make for a much better handling car and keep you from wearing out the outside of the tires.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
quad4berettagtz
Administrator

My first AutoX!

Post by quad4berettagtz »

Geoff, glad to hear you made to (and from) the event!! You have a steep hill to climb, running in DSP (same class as me). You really need to run near max pressure in the front tires on these cars... They are too heavy in the front. Depending on how much body rotation you want, you can bump the pressure in the rear. Higher pressures (40psi) will make the car "loose", but it will sometimes get better rotation around a corner. Lower pressures (32-35psi) will keep the back end planted. I personally like to keep the rear planted, so I run 32-35psi in the rear... and I keep the spare and jack in!!    Camber is a MUST... Look to get as much as you can in the front (rear is negligible on our level of things) up to about 2 degrees. Any more than that is over kill and you will loose grip on your launch. My other advice for you is once you set up the car to preferences, so simply trust the car and the tires- it will do things you didn't think were possible before....  Get the brake lines looked at, obviously that is not good.  I am also surprised that the swap didn't push you into SM like we talked about in Jan.  I'd go with it though, because a 3400 5spd is better suited to autox than a Quad IMHO.  On short courses anyway, maybe on a course as big as that one I would have been par with you.  One other thing- if you continue with this, you will want to invest in some serious rubber.  Tires are the single most aspect of autox, no matter how the car is setup.  Just get a feel for what tires people are running in your class, up here Hoosiers are the king tire- but they are pricey.  You can get your hands on some Toyos or BFG's cheaper and they will last longer (I've got Toyo Proxes RA1's- discontinued now).  Less grip than the Hoosiers, more budget friendly, but if driven well can compete with the better tires.  Maybe we will have to get an autox event at Bfest- I'd LOVE you run against you since we are in the same class. (I could just 2 driver your car if I can't bring the autox car)  Think about it!  

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern
quad4berettagtz
Administrator

My first AutoX!

Post by quad4berettagtz »

Did I mention how jealous I am that you get to start autox TWO MONTHS before me?!?!?  Our first event is not until April 26th!!!  I should migrate south for march and april so I can autox...  snowmobiling is done anyway!  

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern