Beretta.Net Web Site (MUST READ)

Announce an event, topic or get together that might affect everyone
cramez

Post by cramez »

I try to go through the registrations at least twice a week, and there are so many fake ones it's unreal.  I would literally say 1,000 - 1,500 per month.  I really don't know how we could make it automatic without being bombarded with the spam that's overrun this board once or twice before.

On another note -- whoever actually ends up taking control of the site, I'm more than willing to help.  I've got no real web site setup experience (other than Geocities back in the day), but I'm willing to learn and I'd like to think that I've got a fair amount of knowledge to bring to the party.

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Daily Driver
1984 Z28 - 355/5-speed
1978 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade
1955 house - sucks up all the car money

Ebay Beretta Parts (changes weekly): http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cramez/m.html?...from=&_ipg=
bszopi

Post by bszopi »

Although I haven't been around in a  while (and therefore my account got purged?), I would be willing to help out with hosting if needed.  Many of you know me, but for those that don't, I am the co-owner of 60DegreeV6.com, and have been running it since basically its inception (going on 8 years now??).  So I have plenty of site running experience, as well as a current host.  Depending on the size of BNet, I may have to bump up my hosting space, but I don't have a problem with that.  Along with 60V6, I am also currently hosting WOT-Tech.com, 3400swap.com, and a few other small personal websites for some 60V6 members. ÂÂÂ

As far as actually running the site itself, I will let you guys decide that out.  I think Mike has stated many valid points that I agree with.  I am in no way wanting to take over a site that I have not been an active part of, but I don't want to see this site go away, therefore I am offering to host it and let others run it. ÂÂÂ

And I agree 110% about the registrations, as it took me all day to post this message.  Perhaps a switch to a different software (vbulletin would be my recommendation) would help in the quicker registrations and prevent the spam.  We get maybe 1-2 fake registrations a year over on 60V6....

gtuturbo

Post by gtuturbo »

Who owns the domain name? Will it stay?

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1
diedemus

Post by diedemus »

That is one of my primary concerns right now, the domain name cannot go into flux, we will lose it and will definitely not have an opportunity to get it back if that happens. As of right now I believe todd owns the domain, I am still waiting to hear from rex, and any kind of decision to be made officially. As I have said, I have the resources to have this done in a matter of days, if not hours. I am looking out for the community, not a personal interest in that regard, my sense of urgency on this has been the same I showed in niagara. If I remember you were part of that discussion too paul.

On a side note, do you still want to do what we discussed about the drinks?

--Will

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I recommend changing to invision power board.

Email verified registration with a privacy code will cut out nearly all crap.

I know everyone is volunteering and such, but if a lot falls through im here and have message board experience.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Will was talking about moving it to invision power board if he does in fact gain control...

We'll see how it goes.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
diedemus

Post by diedemus »

I was going to move it to phpBB, not invision. But a change to a different forum core is definitely the general consensus, and was a plan of mine when I first mentioned wanting to do this. The latest version I have used has captcha support and does an mx record lookup for valid email addresses, it can also be set to check for ip blackholes, worst case scenario I could code up other verifications if I felt the need to go that far.

bszopi

Post by bszopi »

Has anything come of this?  Has anyone been contacted?  When Rex posted this, it seemed like such an urgent matter.  Several people have stepped up in one way or another, and yet nothing seems to be resolved 4 days later.  You'd think if something has been decided, then someone (Rex or the new person in charge) would step up and say something.  Maybe that's just me...  

As stated before, I am ready and willing to take over hosting, even if its just temporary, to get the site to a server that won't be dropped at any unknown time (again, going off the initial post by Rex).  The site can then continue to run "as-is" until further issues are resolved.

diedemus

Post by diedemus »

At this point we are waiting on rex to make a decision. He is aware of the interested parties and as per his post to the mailing list should make a decision soon.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

No word yet? I also sent a PM, it was about the 1TB drives to back up all the info just in case something goes very wrong. I have got nothing back, but I know they are hard at work right now. It would be nice to hear something though. I'm not sure if I'll have any hair left after all this.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Just wanted to share what I have been running for a spam filter with my phpbb forum.  Yes I know it is not as nice as some of the other forum boards, but for what I am using it for it works fine.

These are 100 pages of spam per page, as you can see 85 pages * 100 per page.  Every one of these are blocked by the anti spam program I added to the forum.  I now get NO spam accounts.  The 8500 here are from the last oh 8 months.  And with the very small amount of traffic and members I get that isn't much.

Just need to find a good plugin like this to work with the forum.   Not sure what the old Sedito board we were running had, but it blocked 98 percent of the crap too.

Again, if there is anything I can do, let me know.  I am pretty decent with graphics, animated and non animated.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

diedemus

Post by diedemus »

I have 3.0.4 installed on my server, no plugins or mods needed for spam filtering as what comes with it will eliminate most of it anyway. Again, this has not come to a final decision yet so we are kind of at a standstill for the moment. I am taking note of all suggestions and offers to help though and should I be the one taking over, I will be in contact with you all.

--Will

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Just a quick note that I am working on my email to Todd.  I am not going to make any final decisions on this unless Todd asks me to.  I am mainly just giving him info on who is interested.  I would prefer that Todd take it from there since I have no legal or business rights to this domain.  Todd did not give me a deadline, just "soon".  I have been busy with family and work, so I am getting back to it tonight.

I will say I am impressed by the flood of offers for help.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Thanks for the update Rex! There is alot of love for this site and it would be a real shame to see it go. This is one of the best car sites around(hope it stays the same).

keep'em flying!
quad4berettagtz
Administrator

Post by quad4berettagtz »

The only thing Rex, is will you be the one getting back to the interested parties or will Todd?  I'm sure you will have info on this when you hear back from Todd, but it is the only question stuck in my head right now.  Thanks!

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern