Transmission questions

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Transmission questions

Post by Guest »

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 3.1 engine and would like to know what transmissions would be a good idea to use. I want to stick with an automatic tranny. I've read that the ideal tranny to use is a w-body tranny with a 3.33 fdr I believe. Would this fit in a 93 beretta base? Also I know that is a electronically controlled tranny. How much difficulty would it be to get it to work on my 3.1? Which cars have this tranny I want. Are their any performance parts for it like the 4t65's have? Common problems about these trannies also would help.

voyager

Transmission questions

Post by voyager »

yeah and will a 4t65 fit in any beretta? well, one with ABS anyhow?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Transmission questions

Post by Guest »

It's been said that a 4t65e can fit but it's a very tight fit. A supercharged retta is using one I think. I just want to know how to get a electronically controlled tranny to work on the rettas computer. Would I have to use a w-bodies ecu? What problems would occur by doing that? Come on someone has to know.

zach82

Transmission questions

Post by zach82 »

I believe you are correct; you have to piggyback ECMs, so you have one for the engine and one for the trans.

If you're going with the 3.1 you'd just be better off getting the 3 speed rebuilt and beefed up with a better set of fd gears.  I'm not really knowledgeable on that trans, but I do believe there are places that make lower gears for them.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net

Transmission questions

Post by Guest »

If you have a ton of money, then go for it,....... but from what I've seen & heard, this is broke net, and MOST (not all) just talk and dream. Unless you have a 96 beretta, or a ton of cash & know what you're doing for the conversion, then trust me when I tell you, that you'll be kicking your A$$ 6 months from now when the car is still sitting in the driveway not running and you then decide it's time to buy another car! If you have money that you want to get rid of, give it to a good cause, donate it to the board for maintenance.  

Transmission questions

Post by Guest »

OK from that answer from JCZ26, I guess that means it's a PITA to do. I don't have alot of money( broke.net lol) but I also have alot of time to get the money also. Ok then what about the 4t60 on the tgp? I know they are not electronically controlled so wouldn't that work on the 3.1? I've read that they used boost pressure or something to control the shifts(I think). Anything on that tranny? OK if all else fails, I need new gears for the th125c. Is their any place that has those. I have never seen a place selling things for that tranny except a shift kit. Hey JC don't give up on me. For the engine rebuild I have the gen 3 heads and intakes in my house just need to learn how to pull the engine out of the retta and get the block redone. I am making progress, just slow progress . Sorry for the long post.

Transmission questions

Post by Guest »

You better hope a 4t60e is electronicly controlled, if not, it's not a 4t60e. A similar trans to the 4t60e, was a 440T4, Not electric, and used a cable to control line pressure, and also was used in the celebrity, gp, etc. best way to remove the power train from the car, out the bottom, and lift the car, works great for me.