new muffler questions :D

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
soda

new muffler questions :D

Post by soda »

Okay guys, basically i want a different sound for my car... a low rumble. Im not sure exactly what i will need and i want to do this myself if i can. Few questions though.

1. What size?

2. What do i need?

3. What to stay away from?

Lol, im a noob with this stuff but im willing to learn and have some fun :D

EDIT: I have an '89 Base model 2.8L V6.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: new muffler questions :D

Post by 3X00-Modified »

2 1/4 full exhaust is more than enough for a fully stock car, so if your doing the whole thing I suggest that... Mandrel bent is nice, but not necessary for your setup, and tons will recommend every different type of mufflers... I tend to stick with chambered mufflers like Edelbrock, or Flowmaster since they have a very distinct sound that I like, granted they can be argued to not be the best of flow, but I don't mind since at the track, I use my 3" cutout to eliminate my exhaust completely.

Stay away from Fart Cannons...

Also bring your car to a shop to have the muffler installed... Half assing it with clamps and adapter pieces will only fall apart in the end, do it right and spend a little extra so it wont fall apart in a week.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
soda

Post by soda »

=] ty for the insight... this along what i got at bstuff helped out.

IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Dynomax ultraflo will give you a nice deep rumble without drone at cruise. It is straight through and flows just as good as straight pipe.

Chambered mufflers will give you some of that throaty sound, but at high RPMs they might rasp and drone at cruise. I say go for hooker aerochamber if you want that style, the aerochamber is straight through basically too, but with a chambered sound. Flowmasters don't sound as good at WOT I think and will drone at cruise, they also are more restrictive (just look at the design)

Go for a high flow cat while you're there. I got a carsound/magnaflow for cheap on ebay. I even went with the metallic core one which flows a bit more. It was like $80 bucks shipped for the stainless spun metal core 2.5" one.

If you do use clamps for holding on a tip/etc use stainless ones, they are worth it after a few years!!! Same goes for muffler strap clamps. I made my own out of duct work material that is stainless. The stuff you buy at parts stores rusts off in a year, but I had other backup mounts when I had changed my muffler that saved it.