Surging, hesitating stalling

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

We have been messing with our 1990 Beretta 3.1 for months now.  It started out with an occassional stalling or dying when we were at a stop sign or light.  
  We have replaced the following: TPS, Fuel filter, fuel pump, MAP sensor, plugs and wires, and the oxygen sensor.
  No codes have shown up.  Sometimes it will run great for a couple of days and then start messing up again.  When my daughter had the car at school, she took it to a couple of mechanics and they couldn't figure it out either.  We are now just replacing parts and crossing our fingers!
  HELP!

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

i had a similar problem. my torque lock converter selenoid went out and when i stopped at a stop sign or stoplight, my car would die. it was not every light or sign, but it happened often enough that i got tired of it. i did not have it checked for codes, but my mechanic recognized it as the prob right away. not sure if this helps, but good luck anyway.:)

Post by Guest »

Quote (aggie80 @ Feb. 19 2003,20:25)We have been messing with our 1990 Beretta 3.1 for months now.  It started out with an occassional stalling or dying when we were at a stop sign or light. ÂÂÂ
 We have replaced the following: TPS, Fuel filter, fuel pump, MAP sensor, plugs and wires, and the oxygen sensor.
 No codes have shown up.  Sometimes it will run great for a couple of days and then start messing up again.  When my daughter had the car at school, she took it to a couple of mechanics and they couldn't figure it out either.  We are now just replacing parts and crossing our fingers!
 HELP!

Thanks!
Throwing parts at it is not the way to go. Unfortunately your description of how it dies is lacking. What I'm pointing out, is there is various ways in which it dies..... Does it feel like your driving a stick shift and it behaves like someone forgot to depress the clutch pedal when stopping, as in... does it chug?  Does it just die when your driving it too, like it ran out of gas? Does it die when your driving it or stopping it, like it gives the feeling of someone just shut the key off? you know, as in just a clean sharp off? Does this happen only when it's at a dead stop? Or this dying happen when slowing to a stop, or when driving too? I figure that the car is a automatic? Details are important, since none of us are there to personally see what the car is doing to give an accurate diag.  If I had to guess based on the info given.... I would say that the tcc solenoid is failing in the trans. The part is under 20 bucks, but not an easy job to tackle, even for an experienced tech. ÂÂÂ

Post by Guest »

I guess that I forgot to specify that it is a 5 speed so I don't think it has a TCC does it?  The only reason that we have been throwing parts at is because we haven't been able to solve the problem!  Thanks for the help!

Post by Guest »

can you describe what it does just before and as it it is dying---

Post by Guest »

Usually when it dies it is when you are stopped and then try to go. Then sometimes when it starts back up it will barely chug along and then stall again or surge.  And then sometimes it runs great!!
Thanks!

Post by Guest »

Will it always start back up or do you have to let it sit for awhile?
Has the check engine light blinked or flasshed but yet still no codes?
Does it feel like it is running out of fuel when it does this??
Have you been able to get the car to act up and then test a few things while it is acting up?

I have a few thoughts. I am "assuming " it acts up once the car is warmed up and you have been driving it for awhile. It sounds to me like the problem is an electrical related part. I would try to get it to act up and check for fuel pressure, fuel inj pulse, and check for spark while the car is acting up.

IF you can't get it to act up I would physically check the fuel pump relay, fuel pressure while operating the car, ecm connections and tap on the ecm with a screwdriver handle while the car is running and warmed up---if the ecm is bad sometimes it will act up with a little persuation from a screwdriver handle.

Post by Guest »

When it does act up it is usually warmed up but not all of the time.  When we have the car just sitting there idling it is fine.  I will try smacking the ECM and see what happens (and kick the tires as well)!
Is there any way to test the ECM to see if it is working properly?  
Many Thanks!

Post by Guest »

You can send your ECM to a really good parts supplier to be tested. Many of them will not do it for you unless you are a registered shop.   I remember working on a 90 3.1 with the same symtom. The car had no trouble codes and was tuned up. When it finally acted up, a good smack on the ECM made the car run great.  I called ECM there and then.  Installed an aftermarket unit and the customer never returned.   Quick job and easy money.

ettore

Post by ettore »

Try to make good friends with a local junkyard.  Ask them if they will lend you the use of their ECM when your car is in the parking lot.  If you have the ECM hanging there, it's easy to swap-out quick and junkyards are usually pretty nice.

However, I don't think that is your problem BECAUSE ... I have had the same problem for a year.  I have replaced EVERYTHING (I work at a junkyard) except my O2.

I would go with a vacuum leak somwhere ... like the manifold or maybe a random tube somewhere.  I am pretty sure that is "MY" problem ... so maybe it's yours too

BTW: Did you gas mileage go down the toilet when this problem occurred?

Orange Mica Z26 205,000k Click to See