Oil sending unit

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

I've got my Z26 Gauge Cluster in my 1996 Base, and was going to have my mechanic hook up the oil pressure gauge so that it didnt peg off the charts, so it works properly.

He told me that apparently I cannot do this.

Anyone know anything about this?

Kevskate99

Oil sending unit

Post by Kevskate99 »

You can do it, just go get the oil pressure sending unit at the store and install it yourself if he is going to not belive something that GM designed themselves. Or just TELL him to DO IT!!

Kevskate99

Oil sending unit

Post by Kevskate99 »

Btw, its just a replacement, you swap out the old oil pressure switch, for the sending unit. and its located right in between the oil fitler and the starter. Look up there with a flashlight you should see a little sensor of the sort that is about 1 3/4 inches long with the wires going to it.

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

How much would this switch cost me? Any way i could get a part number?

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

Hey Bri, the sending unit that comes out is a short one, compared to what you're going to put back in. Also, make sure that the plug configuration is the same, since there are different ones. I found that auto zone has a problem down here, but you being a little bit north may find the same thing.... Their computer is wrong when it comes to the listing. I finally discovered that the 4 cyl listing was in the place of the six. What you need to do, is go to a regular auto parts store, and ask for an oil sending unit for a sending unit for 96 3100 with gauges. the sending unit should be almost twice the length than what is in the car for idiot lights. Now, I assume you got a cluster out of a 96 v6 car? 95 and under cluster will not work correctly in your car!!!!! If you have the right cluster, 96 6 cylinder ONLY, and you do go to a/z for the sending unit, you'll find that for some reason they list the correct one you need in the 4 cylinder listings, well, at least that's the way it was for the 94 when I had it. But save yourself the greif, buy it somewhere else.

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

I dont know if it came out of a 96z i doubt it. Probably came out of a 94 ...so i'm screwed. :???

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

Go down to advanced auto. ÂÂÂ Go to the counter and say "I have a 1996 Beretta Z26 3.1 V6 FWD, I need an oil pressure sending unit". ÂÂÂ He will order one, or hand you one. ÂÂÂ Take your old one out of the front of the block. ÂÂÂ Put the new (longer one) in and hook the wire up to it. ÂÂÂ Cost me like $20 or something silly like that. ÂÂÂ Why didn't ya ask me? ÂÂÂ I told you i'd help you install it. ÂÂÂ They will probably offer you both units.  You want the more expensive one (eg the cheap one is what you have now).  It should be closer to 3 inches long (as apposed to like 1 inch long for the old one).

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

Quote (94Corsica3100 @ Feb. 28 2003,01:14)Go down to advanced auto.  Go to the counter and say "I have a 1996 Beretta Z26 3.1 V6 FWD, I need an oil pressure sending unit".  He will order one, or hand you one.  Take your old one out of the front of the block.  Put the new (longer one) in and hook the wire up to it.  Cost me like $20 or something silly like that.  Why didn't ya ask me?  I told you i'd help you install it.  They will probably offer you both units.  You want the more expensive one (eg the cheap one is what you have now).  It should be closer to 3 inches long (as apposed to like 1 inch long for the old one).
A PRE 96 cluster will not work in a 96!!!!!!!! Don't believe me, ask Erich. I don't care how many sending units you buy, a 91 to 95 cluster will not work in a 96, it will fit, but not work correctly.  

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

Ooops?  Thats golden, the actual wiring is different?  What would happen with a new oil sender?

Oil sending unit

Post by Guest »

wiring in the cluster (internally) is different