Fart cans? Why?

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Z26Beretta315

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Z26Beretta315 »

My first post on this forum, and it shall be in interesting one.  Beware, I am
long winded.....

MAJ28 hit the nail on the head.  It is a plague caused by expensive and flashy Hollywood movies, namely The Fast and the Furious and I'm sure many others.  Now I won't bash FnF as a movie, it was entertaining, I guess both of them, but I for one shun them for killing a Dodge Charger, I don't care if they found some stripped body from a junkyard, that body could have been reborn.

But the movie caused and still causes teenagers who just got their license to "trick" their vehicle out.  So they go out and buy a fart can mufflers, the massive air foils, some nice rims (or cheap hubcaps from Walmart), maybe one of those cheap body kits or find a fancy front assembly that isn't even the right color, shove the neon light bars underneath the car, and think I have a mean and flashy ride.

Meanwhile its a rusted up Honda with 350,000 miles on it, and yes it'll do a 100 miles an hour, but only cause Honda can make a good 4 cylinder engine.  100 mph ain't nothing, my first car was a 1990 Dodge Omni, she did a 100 mph and could leave a 30 foot strip of rubber on hot pavement (standard tranny).  My second car was the Omni's offspring the Dodge Shadow, done 100, hell done 100 in a Plymouth Acclaim.

But it all falls into that thing we humans call "trendy".  It falls into my book as another reason I need a beatup pickup truck with a snow plow to ram all these people off the road.

My name is DW, I'm a quarter of a century old, just adopted a 95 Z26 from one of my best friends who owned her most of her life, so I know the car very well.  Long story short, he joined the army 6 years ago, kept the car in storage and drove it when he was near home.  Finally ended up in Alaska, got married, has a new truck, and didn't want to see the car sink into the ground since it was just sitting.  He also had dropped about 5 grand into the engine, replaced the heads, bored it, replaced and repaired just about everything except the crank shaft.

|| 1995 Z26 || V6 3100 bored over .030 || 4 Speed Auto || 103,785 miles w/ 785 on Engine ||
JeffD

Fart cans? Why?

Post by JeffD »

well yesterday i removed the thrush, now i have a 2" cherry Bomb bullet glasspack in place of the empty cat. after the 'pack i made a side pipe that exits in front of the wheels.
i don't know what the cops think, but today some four cylinder Avenger wanted to race...
it's really loud, but as long as you let off around old people, and cops it's just fine. though it's quiet enough inside with the windows down to hear the radio without even going having to turn it from before!

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Guest »

(Bjs96Beretta @ Apr. 25 2006,12:41)QUOTEhey another texas memeber   yay ya im not one for the fart cans my friend has one on his car, and when he gets to redline it sounds like its very restrictive. i raced him and i beat him with my 4 banger beretta . i got another friend with a 3100 v6 i keep telling him he needs to step up and upgrade, but he says he needs the summer and all to do anything.

Brandon
You guys and hating on the Stainless Muffles, (ricer mufflers as many of you may call it) I don't know why everybody gets so worked up about the whole muffler thing, its a thing of personal taste, I just put one on my 88 beretta with the 2.8L auto no cat, sounds fantastic! about what you said in this post about your buddys car sounding more restricted at redline is absolutely crazy, a stright though designed muffler is always going to be less restrictive than any muffler with a baffle in it! Yeh and once again Its all personal preference when it comes to your exhaust note!

I've never had my car on the track, But its faster than my buddys 92 with the 3.1 with a 5 speed! however its not fast enough I plan on picking up the 3400 ASAP.

tweekster64

Fart cans? Why?

Post by tweekster64 »

Well, I plan on dualling out my exhaust, a 3100 with 2 dyna-flows oughta be pretty cool I think!

1991 Ford F150 Lariat XLT ext cab-short box
1990 Lincoln Town Car
   I'll have another Beretta someday
clearfield18

Fart cans? Why?

Post by clearfield18 »

hey I agree with the fart cans.I see on a few of the berettas on berettastuff.com these kids are putting on these farts cans and they look like crap.why would you want to put a jap scrap piece of tin folgers coffee can on an american car.it makes they look so stupid.If your gonna put an exhaust on a beretta put a real one on with like 2/1/2 exhaust tips or something get rid of those fart cans.unless you like hondas..

Scotty Walter Welker
HateMyAuto

Fart cans? Why?

Post by HateMyAuto »

Once again, it all falls down to preference. I've seen, or I should say heard, some cars with the fart cans (calling them stainless is too generalizing, because they make regular mufflers in stainless too) that actually didn't sound too bad. But for everyone of those I've heard, there's been about 50 with them that sounded terrible, and about 15 that just had holes in the exhaust. If I've learned one thing when working at a muffler shop, it's that you never will know what the thing will sound like until you're done. Irregardless, just keep one thing in mind; yes, your exhaust is loud, and you can go on thinking you're BillyBadass because of it, but please, please, don't feel the need to constantly wring every rev out of your engine just to be loud. The only people you'll impress are the people you probably wouldn't want to anyways.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
leadfoot93

Fart cans? Why?

Post by leadfoot93 »

If the Cops complain about the noise the best way out is just to look him straight in the face once he hands you your ticket and with a blank face tell him "yes officer i agree my exhaust was too damn loud, I'm sorry to put you through all the trouble."  You know that or "Hey Pig! why don't you earn that salary I pay you and chase some murderer instead of pullin me over for being quieter than a @$%!%N stock harley(I got nuthin against them but admit there louder than just about any car)"

foot in the floor mpg about 8
DUNCAN05

Fart cans? Why?

Post by DUNCAN05 »

There not so bad. Mine sounds pretty good but I do plan on putting something different.

Winner of the Endless Ride Award Berettafest 2007 (3,630mi RT)
Bring Berettafest back West!
If you have a nice set of dew strips please PM me.
#1 stunna

Re: Fart cans? Why?

Post by #1 stunna »

I agree thier not so bad. I use to have a cheap-e turbo muff with the old man tip, i think that sounded like crap.All about preference as stated in this post.I like the way my "fart cannon" sounds and i've had many compiments.I am no kid nor did i do it to "look cool"---> just simply trying to get the best performance and least backpressure possible. Duals on a beretta? it may look cool,but there is no performance adds from this. One muffler that works and the other is a dummy .... no thanks

88 beretta
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/517217
03 monte carlo ss