Ontario J Body Club Event

Need some setup advice, have some stories? For organized racing stories only! No street racing here!
Asylum

Ontario J Body Club Event

Post by Asylum »

And now they ALL hate me! LOL!

Won BOTH the Non-J Bracket Classs AND the Non-J Quick 8.

Beat a bunch of Cobalts and a Saturn or two.

New best of 14.18 (I think I put 14.11 in my PM to Lil'Jon. That is a typo!) No betterment to the previous best MPH.

They wouldn't run a "King of the Hill" between the Non-J and the J Body winner because that would not look good at their meet if a Non-J won, LOL!

Fun weekend. 300 cars and a bunch of really fun people.

Kerri was there and took some pics and a video I think.

Some VERY interesting cars including a 3rd generation Cavy with a Northstar V8.

I didn't get a really good look at it, sorry, but it was quite the attraction getter, and he drove it to and from the event, but wouldn't run it on the track.

I'll take the double win and the dropped jaws from the on-lookers , LOL!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
beretta bitch

Re: Ontario J Body Club Event

Post by beretta bitch »

It was a great weekend. The weather was perfect...the day was exciting...and it was topped off with 2 wins.

Most of the pics and videos are on Eric's camera but he'd have to figure out how to download them.

Here's what I have...

Non-J body semi final race.... http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... V00874.flv

Proof of the wins.... http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... C00881.jpg ... http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... C00878.jpg

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

That's cool. :good:

_________
-------------
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Kerri just said the video of the car is on B'Stuff!

I have to thank alot of people for making this thing run this well.. Chris Wilson, Rodney, Bill Clark, and of course me. Although I have no idea about working on a car. ROFL!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Nice on the 14.18 I wish I could get a 2.08 60 foot... My 13.996 was a 2.09 60' and that was on street tires... Just think of what I could get if the damn things hooked up :)

I really need to spend some more time tuning my car, I think there is more there, BUT I seriously doubt I'll see a 13 from it again this year... not until I spend $450 on lightweight rotors for the front at least... lol Oh well I enjoy my nice stopping power and full rim's :)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

But THAT video shows how a good 3t40 shifts!!

It actually "squawks" the drag radials on the 1-2 on some runs.

Bill Clark FTMFW!!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Is it Mister Transmission L9T 2X5 ?

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

asylummotorsports wrote:But THAT video shows how a good 3t40 shifts!!

Bill Clark FTMFW!!

I sacrifice my trans shifting for temp on a street setup... I was crusing last night and I had the pressure bumped up high, But my trans temp reached 97*c being that high (I'm assuming, stressing the pump you create more heat)... so I dropped it down to where it was and got back to 84*c, BUT if I left it up I'm sure I could chirp the DR's on the shifts if I wanted too, and I doubt if I run at the strip like that it would be long enough to build up as much heat as driving it around town, so I may bump the pressure at the strip and see what happens.

I'd be curious if you could get a trans temp gauge in that thing and see what it runs at when you go on a decent length trip.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

3X00-Modified wrote:
asylummotorsports wrote:But THAT video shows how a good 3t40 shifts!!

Bill Clark FTMFW!!

I sacrifice my trans shifting for temp on a street setup... I was crusing last night and I had the pressure bumped up high, But my trans temp reached 97*c being that high (I'm assuming, stressing the pump you create more heat)... so I dropped it down to where it was and got back to 84*c, BUT if I left it up I'm sure I could chirp the DR's on the shifts if I wanted too, and I doubt if I run at the strip like that it would be long enough to build up as much heat as driving it around town, so I may bump the pressure at the strip and see what happens.

I'd be curious if you could get a trans temp gauge in that thing and see what it runs at when you go on a decent length trip.
I have a huge cooler on this thing (But then so do you!) and I have never noticed a change at all after a long drive.

In fact when I get to the track after a 45 minute to 90 minute drive depending on which one I go to and make a run right away, there seems to be no noticable difference in shift quality or firmness.

I am planning on installing a gauge, in fact I have one, but "old lazy arse syndrome" keeps kicking in!

EDIT: The other thing that seems to get overlooked even by me is the "Royal Purple Factor".

The stuff is ridiculously expensive, but Bill WILL NOT build a trans for a performance application without insisting on using it.

I have switched the engine over to Mobil One simply because Royal stopped making 0W30, but the trans lives on it, and that is likely a huge factor in the temperature.
Last edited by Asylum on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Oh I didn't say there was a difference between shift quality and firmness... I simply stated that I can bump my pump pressure up more than where it is now and make it slam, but that will raise my trans temps while driving on a back road... They say optimal temp is 175-190... 97*c is 206.6F and they say 20* over optimal temps for prolonged time periods will break down trans fluid, SO I back off my modulator when on the street and keep the temps at 85C or cooler... (185 F)

Apparently it's slightly easier to tweak firmness on a 3t40 without bumping the pressure of the pump... I can firm it up quite a bit too, but I have yet to determine the right amount of washers to stack in my accumulators to get a nice hard firm shift with very little pump pressure... I'm very close though. And I'm sure Bill has figured that out on your trans... But every time I want to change my setup I need to drain my fluid, and that's expensive unless I reuse it. When I had the trans out last time doing filter and fluid and converter I shimmed them quite a bit and that helped a lot, it gave me a firmer 2-3 shift, but I also think I need to pay attention to my valve body after this year to really get the response I want.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

asylummotorsports wrote:Royal Purple Factor
Yes, that does make for a long livin trans. Although, I still notice some weak/delayed shifting after a 30 minute highway cruise.

9.99 a quart..... :cry:

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Highway my temps drop, town roads where it kinda wants to be in 4th locked but not sure, it will heat up. But then again that was with the modulator cranked up more than necessary for street driving.

I'm using Valvoline Dextron 6

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

You do have 4 gears :runsies:

If I cruise at 50mph it will not go higher than normal temps if at all anything above the lowest specs. But then I might get shot at doing 50mph on these roads.

_________
-------------
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

As far as city driving goes, this car never sees it.

I almost never drive it except to and from the track, or if it's going somewhere to be worked on, so heat from that point of view is not an issue.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

asylummotorsports wrote:As far as city driving goes, this car never sees it.

I almost never drive it except to and from the track, or if it's going somewhere to be worked on, so heat from that point of view is not an issue.

Well that's where our applications differ.... I will drive this car from time to time on the street so I like to have it stay cool in those applications, and 200+ temp on the trans is a no good setup. At the strip, if its not shifting hard enough I'll adjust it there since I doubt I'll produce enough heat to cause an issue.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"