A few problems with the swap?

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Post by Guest »

Ok ive hit a few problems first i was told that i had to change the engine coolant temp sensor well I took them both out and they are identical so do i change it or keep the old one? Gm said they are the same so? The other thing is it possible to use the 3400s timing chain cover if you use all the 3400s assecories ive not took them off yet is why i was wondering. It would save alot of work? My other question is I ordered headers for the engine so i was wondering what is recomended should i wrap them or just leave them unwraped or spray them with ceramic paint or something like that? Sorry for all the questions but I dont want to mess this up...

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Im going to assume your swapping out the 3100 for a 3400.  You might as well use the old 3100 sensor as long as it fits.  Why have to tear it out later if GM was wrong?  It wouldnt be the first time a GM tech or parts person was mistaken.  As for the timing chain cover, Im really not sure.  
With the headers it depends what kind of coating they have on them when you get them, if any.  It also depends on how important the color of the headers is to you.  You could get some discoloring if you just leave them how they are, but I wouldnt suggest ceramic PAINT.  Wraps just look fugly in my opinion.  I'd look into getting them professionally ceramic coated if you can afford it.  All its really going to do is slightly reduce underhood temps and make it look pretty.

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

Convert to 3 prong sensor and run the sensor wire for guage to the 3rd of the new style sensor.   On 3.1mpfi and early 3100 we use 2 temp sensors.. for ANYONE switching to 1996 and newer heads, the temp sensor in head is no longer there, there is no way to logically drill.  A solution is to use water jacket OR to converto to 3 prong sensor.  I sell the plug.  You need to swap the timing cover to get the engine mount to mount to the block and to use the original belt routing.   With your car being mated to a 4T60E, i would do everything for heat....seriously consider Jet Coat or whatever its called AND possiblt a full or partial wrap.   You should get an alternator duct from 1996 up cars( i sell these on ebay)

You also need to mod your alternator bracket and get the EGR to work(I can make if needed).  You also need to get your lower intake tapped out, and use the 3100's Beretta coolant tube(especially 1994 where there is NO coolant to throttlebody)  Also use 1995 up plug wires....i remember something goofy here.  

Order some plenum, injector gaskets and the timing cover gasket.   You need to pull the pulley off, make sure you have tools, you also need the alternator, and lower bracket from the 3100.    

The temperature thing applies to anyone who is installing a 3100 or 3400 into a 1994 and early 1995.   I had to deal with this on a 1996 engine into a 1994 Z26.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Post by Guest »

what do you mean by tapping out the lower intake? And how much do you charge to make the plate for the egr?

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

If I remember correctly the 3100 beretta coolant tube is threaded on the intake end and the 3400 is NOT threaded.  So you'll need to tap the threads yourself.

Post by Guest »

Ok thanks chris that makes it alot easier to understand.